Fretless Necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 10, 2004.

1. Hey-yo
    im getting my ATK off consignment in a week or two and transforming it into a fretless, but im really worried about defretting the existing neck or getting it done and was thinking about buying a neck to put on it and keep the origional as a spare for it or sumfin....but has anyone had experience with carvin or warmoth necks?, im gonna find out if they'll fit my bass or not, but there is a price difference between the two the carvin is $350aus, 22fret maple neck, ebony fingerboard and the warmoth is almost twice that for the same, which would be as much as i paid for the darn thing.....but what im worried about defretting the existing neck is that its maple fingerboard and got quite a thick coating of something...anyway,.....any input is helpful...

2. Sorry, you've got a 22 fret neck. That rules out the Warmoth because you would either have to alter your neckpocket OR move your bridge. That's not possible on the ATK. IIRC the Carvins are 22 or 24 fret and that presents the same situation.
  3. Well, if the neck is fretless it wouldn't hurt to go slightly longer, as long as it fit in the pocket somehow.
  4. more detail please?, the carvin neck is 22fret, im looking at the catalog right now, so why would i have to move the bridge if they were same scale and same amount of frets?
  5. Same scale and same fret count means it might fit but you'll have to have the same pocket shape and depth as the neck was intended for to make a good fit.
  6. yeah..i understand tht...but why would i have to move the bridge??? thats the part i didn't understand
  7. You would only have to move the bridge IF you didn't make the neck pocket longer and that would be needed ONLY if the two necks were different.
  8. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    If you don't want to try all of that "modding", try Stewart McDonald's necks.

... just a suggestion. :)
  9. i looked at this site from another thread

and im going to defret the neck and just use crack filler, cos im not too keen on sanding the neck back...could i get away with that? just have tape either side of the fret then fill it with the putty while the tape is still there?
  10. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I know a guy who once defretted a neck on one of his basses. He used parafin wax to fill the lines. I don't know how it ended up or the mess it could have made if it had gotten hot. But, he seemed pleased with it. It just seems messy to me. The good thing about it is that it would be easier for him to add frets back if he needed to. :meh:
  11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    as a fellow owner of a US ATK i must say your crazy! don't kill the bass man! save some bucks and buy a used frtls.

or defret that kubicki if you must :D ;)

good luck...