1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretless nut height

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jbo, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    Hey everybody, I just put a Mighty Mite Ebonal fretless neck on my Squire P-bass and I had a question about the height of the nut.

Right now, the nut height is 3/16 of an inch measured from the bottom of the nut slot on the E-string side, which is about 1/32 less than what my fretted jazz bass is. Is this a good height? The reason i ask is that a few days ago I went into a local music store and played a MIM fretless jazz that had super low action and was a dream to play! When I was looking over the bass, I noticed that the nut was filed down to about 1/8 of an inch and the string slots were recut, in fact, the strings were resting on the fingerboard on the headstock side of the nut.

So I guess my main questions are: Is it advisable to have nut that low (like the MIM jazz)? Or should I simply cut the grooves a little deeper? Any help on this would be awesome, or a link to a previous thread that might help me would be much appriciated!! Thanks in advance for all your help!

jordan

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I would probably sand the bottom of the nut down a little bit. The popular way of setting up fretless nuts recently seems to be having them low enough that the strings contact the edge of the fingerboard (so open notes sound closer to fingered notes).

3. yep...for max "MWAH" factor that's the way...but the lower the nut, the more critical the other factors...

personally...the ideal nut height on a fretless is about 1/2mm from the fretboard...

95% of all production basses have the nut slots higher than optimum...boutique basses will come with the sweet touches...some high-end shops will put the touches in prior to sale (or post sale)...
    us budget bassists, learn how to do all this ourselves :)

4. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    Cool!! Thanks for the replies! I break out the ole files and get to work then.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021