Fretless Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThankTheMaker, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ThankTheMaker

ThankTheMaker

Jan 24, 2006
    I've had a 70's Fender project P bass now for a while, which I took the frets off of about a year ago, everything came out beautifully except when it came time to replace the old nut. I bought a fender made nut, I believe it's wood, I've never really seen one like it before but never the less, my only issue is, obviously I have to file it down to get any kind of action, as well as reduce the buzzing, on the neck. I have been doing it with sandpaper, as the nut is wood, but I can't really get the hang of shaping it. As the neck is curved and the nut is flat I've had to make the curve by hand, but I can never seem to get it well enough curved to sit flat inside it's groove. Is there some simple step that I'm missing or some common tool that I have overlooked?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    maybe a small file would be a better choice than sand paper?

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I think he means slots for the strings. At least that is the way I've understood it.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

but maybe I'm wrong....in fact, when reading it again, I'm not sure what he means either.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think he is talking about the bottom of the nut. On a Fender the nut slot is radiused the same as the fingerboard. If the bottom of the nut is flat it has to be sanded into a curve that matches.

The best way to do it is with a radiused sanding block. On one bass I used the fingerboard itself as a sanding block, placing the sandpaper face up on it and clamping it down with a capo. It worked great but left some minor marks on the ebonol fingerboard. They were very fine scratches, but so fine that you couldn't feel them running a fingernail over them. I think it is because ebonol is shiny, and that it probably wouldn't have shown up on a wood fingerboard. Like I said, minor, nothing that affected the playability.