Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless on Walter Woods?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheTurtle, Feb 5, 2005.

1. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    Hi! I have a Rob Allen Mb-2 fretless, it's a great bass.
    I've tried it throught Walter Woods Ultra because I really like that amp but I don't find a great tone, It's a pity because the WW sounds great with other basses and in particular with acoustic bass or double bass...

Why so? Do you think WW is a good amp for fretless bass? Have you ever tried Rob Allen fretless throught WW?
    Someone told me that there is a difference between channel 1 and 2 but I did not hear any difference.

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Howdy! According to the man himself, there is *no* difference at all between the channels. I've never tried an Allen, but my Lakland 55-94 fretless sounds awesome through it! What are you not digging about the sound so we can maybe help you?

3. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    I liked a lot the WW on my Fodera but on my Rob Allen fretless I heard that the sound is not so natural... it sounds clear and warm but it seems to me that the sound is stopped... it sounds like palying in palm muting, and it happens much more as you work on the eq of the WW.
    It doesn't happen when I play the Allen throught other amps more "conventional". Anyone tried an Allen fretless on WW amps?

4. Both, my Lowend 7 fretless and my Skjold 6 fretless sound great through my Ultra.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I give it a try tomorrow and see what I come up with. I've found that my MB2 is pretty plug n' play.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well as I said I would try this out. I didn't have a whole lot of time and had to watch my volume since it was getting late.

It sounds great! It was a little over bearing at first until fiddled with the pre-gain setting and I did turn the volume down on the MB-2. That preamp in my MB-2 is very hot.

I was plugged into the pair of baby Bergantino 12's. 12's just seem to sound the best with this bass. Oh and I had the Ultra set flat on the EQ.

Maybe you might want to try fooling around with pre-gain and make sure that you aren't over-driving the front end of the Ultra.

But, bottom line it sounded pretty darn spectacular with my setup.

7. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    Yes it's true the preamp on mb2 is very hot probably I have to work better on the pregain on WW, I have 12" cabinets also, but Epifani, anyway thanks for yor support. :)