Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless only?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Harrell, May 23, 2005.

1. How many of you fretless guys use it exclusively? I find the more I play it, the less I want to play my fretted basses.. :eek: ..this typical? I can just get so much more voicing and character from it, it's crazy! Maybe it just suits my style better, I dunno. I do know I'm less inclined to take my fretted bass to gigs each day......

2. haha, I started a thread about this not too long ago. I completely agree with you, once I got my fretless the expression, feel of the fretboard and control you have with fretless is absolutely addicting. I didn't touch my (arguably higher quality) fretted bass for a long time when my fretless came in, but I find now picking it up is good fun and the sound of frets can be useful, but 90 percent of my practice and playing is spent without speedbumps.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, if my dream bass wasn't my boat anchor of a vintage Fender, I'd certainly play my fretless a lot more. However, between the fact that my fretless gets about half my playing time, only cost $200, that'll tell you how much I'd play a much more expensive fretless ;)

4. About 4 years ago I put my warwick in the closet and started playing fretless exclusively, haven't looked back since!

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I used to kind of split the time ... fretted ~ 60%, fretless 40%

But, since I got my FBB fretless 6, more and more time is going to it, with the fretted sitting in the stand at the gigs. I think it's just that this FBB is so amazing well constructed and sounds so beautiful that you just have to play it .... it's definitely the nicest bass I have ever owned :cool:

Plus, the gigs lately have all been jazz, so it really lends itself to the music ;)

6. So do you guys play mostly 4s or ERBs? My first sixer is fretless, unlined. I though it would take me forever to get used to it, but it didn't. And that high string just sings!!!!

7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Ditto.
    My bass playing has definitley slacked off of late (not in any bands, so I have to really want to play to pick it up). My new fretless comes in tomorrow, cheapo MIM fender jazz. I used to play upright (no space in current apartment) and I can't tell you how excited I am to get away from those darned speedbumps. ^_^

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

8. When I first got my fretless, it sat on its stand, almost never getting touched. I felt like I was neglecting it, and would force myself to pick it up for atleast a few minutes a day. After a few weeks, I noticed that the few minutes would turn into a half an hour, and then longer, and before long I had to force myself to pick up my fretted bass.

I almost never pick up my fretted now. I've become a complete fretless convert. I agree with klocwerk, I'm just happy to get away from the speedbumps

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was fretless only from 95 till spring 2003 and played mostly fretted for a year. Spring 2004 I got my new fretless and I'm 98% fretless for the last year. I usually don't even bring my fretted to gigs.

(I own and play 4, 5 & 6 string basses)

10. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    same story, firs I had a fretted 4, followed by a fretted 6.
    a few months ago I had someone defret my four, and now I'm all over it. And if we play a song that really really really needs the six'er, I would still try to manage with 2 strings less.
    my next will be a custom fretless sixer
    moehahaha

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    For 12 years I played fretless only.
    Now I play fretless 60%.
    Fretted 40%.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    James I love your frettless. any chance you have a sound clip of it ;)

13. This summer I will be a fretless convert!

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm building a hotrod hollowbody fretless........

15. I play fretless (electric and upright) about 99.5% of the time ... basically went about 4 years without touching a bass with frets ... I also gave slapping up about 4 years ago too.

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    how does a fretless give you more "expression" and "voicing"?

I thought fretless just gave you that wonderful mwah...

~JB~

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I was exclusively fretless for 10 years. I just did my first gig with a fretted bass two weeks ago. I like the challenge, the look, the feel, the action, the freedom of fretless basses.

I love them. They're just wonderful. However...not a huge fan of mwah and don't have a mwah sound on my main player.

18. for me, I don't feel limited by the frets. on a fretted I have such a tendency to play patterns and play off the root that I don't really play what's "in my head" and I have a hard time translating what's in my head to the bass. On my fretless the freedom of no frets or fret lines forces me to forget to an extent of what I know will work and to concentrate more on the music.

19. 95% fretless... I only use fretted for slap. Otherwise, I'd probably be 100% fretless. For me, fretless feels more natural, less "robotic" :eyebrow: . It's hard to express into words.

One thing's for sure, I think a completely fretless, lineless fretboard looks soooo sexy! :D

20. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I played a double bass today, and now I;m understanding what your saying!

Looking back onto what i was playing,it was more of what I thought on how it would sound, instead of patterns and such.

Now I NEED a fretless. Thanks :spit: lol

~JB~