Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless option on Bartolini preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FCM3, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Hi all:
    I'm considering adding a Bart preamp to my fretless and saw that Bartolini offers a nice replacement preamp (the HR3.2 NTBT-918 2-band Preamp/ Tone Control Module).
    However, they also offer a fretless option w/ this preamp.

Does anyone know what this fretless option is?

I can only guess its some sort of optimized frequencies or tone, but not sure.

Thanks in advance
    frank

2. Short of telling you that it's most probably because there are no frets on the pre-amp :rolleyes: , and then descending into sarcasm by telling you that there might be also be a "lined fret-less" setting which might help you play in tune :rolleyes: , I have to admit that you're most probably correct in your assumption, but on the other hand, it sounds like "marketing" to me... :)

Good Luck! I hope you get a more sensible answer than mine (hey, 666 is getting closer...)

- Wil

PS - if your bass has no frets, why would you need a device which makes it sound like it has no frets :confused:

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That's good Wil:D

My Pentabuzz has the Bartolini TBT Active tone with independent Bass and Treble 15db.

Then again...what preamp did Jaco's Fretless Fender Jazz have, hmmmmm???:cool:

The HR3.2 is just the electronics harness.
    It looks like Volume, Volume, Tone (Hi/Low Stacked).

You may want to contact them about the NTBT918-2 that it uses. It doesn't give a specific description of that unit number on the website. It shows the NTBTG - NTBT 2 band tone control preamp with gain control trim potentiometer prewired - 9 volt.

I didn't see any mention about a "fretless option".

www.bartolini.net

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have seen other "fretless" pre-amps, and from what I could read the difference is in how the EQ frequencies have been chosen, or that the pre-amp has one or more sweepable mid-range controls tailored for fretless sounds.

5. Hi:
    thanks for the info.
    Contacting Bartolini has been next to impossible/futile. I've heard/read that since its still a small operation that they rarely respond to emails and occasionally answer the phone. I've tried a few dozen times.

I thought I'd have better luck here or calling a music store.

John-the fretless option is listed on top of pg9 in their download-able pricelist. "Fretless basses-add FL after the harness#.

I still don't know
    frank

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    grasshopper at basscentral seemed to know a lot about Bart stuff when i talked to him. Maybe give them a call and see what they have to say.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I do a good deal of EQing with my fretted basses and amp, but with fretless, I think its best to remove all the knobs, and set the amps EQ flat.

That being said, I have EMG's in my fretless, which has a built in Pre. Either way, this applies for all fretless basses Ive tried.

Peace
    Nick

8. Okay...so here's what I learned.

The Fretless option on their preamp is an optimized midrange for fretless basses (whatever this means), this option only comes on their 3-band EQ.
    According to a reliable source, the EQ enhancement is extremely subtle and is readily heard by squirrels, chipmunks, and dogs (just kidding) but not people.
    It was recommended that I pass on it.
    Simple enough

The good news is that Gard hooked me up w/ the all Bartolini knowing Grasshopper.

Thanks for everything
    frank