Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless or acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Jan 15, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i plan on purchasing a new bass in the near future. i want a j-bass frettless and some nice acoustic. the prob. is, which to buy. what do yall's be recomending?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    When you say "acoustic" do you mean a Double Bass or acoustic Bass Guitar? If the former, you are tackling a whole new instrument. If the latter, don't waste your money, get the fretless. As always, IMHO, YMMV, close cover before striking, yadda, yadda. :D

3. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Get both.

4. I dont see a need of an acoustic bass in most styles of music. The only reason I see their use in on MTV unplugged, other than that, I would not recomend spending your money on it, get lessons instead

5. I think some acoustic basses have a really cool sound. One of the neatest sounding basses I've ever played was a fretless Tacoma acoustic bass.

6. Sepultallica

Sepultallica

Jan 14, 2001
    Get what I have--a combo of the two:

Epiphone El Capitan acoustic fretless 4-string

hehehe...

In all seriousness, I love this bass...I'm mostly a metal bassist, but I have recorded some songs and parts of songs with this bass and I love it. I string it with LaBella black nylon tapewound strings for a more mellow vibe...if you want an example of what this sounds like, E-mail me at xxxSEPULTURAxxx@hotmail.com. My band's working on a song called "Second Wind" that's gonna go on our MP3.com site soon. It has some parts recorded with that bass. Others are recorded with my Ibanez Soundgear 5-string. If you can find a fretless acoustic, or even a fretted acoustic, play them, and then play that fretless J-bass you are looking at. Take about half an hour to an hour with each instrument and decide what's best for you (hint: play the acoustics both unplugged and then plug them in and play).

7. Mik Walker

Mik Walker Supporting Member

Dec 26, 1999
    What do you want to play and what can you afford to pay?

Do you really want to use the acoustic purely acoustically (in which case you might find a mouse choir to accompany with a bit of luck) or are you looking for a bass that lends acoustic properties to it's sound but is otherwise amplified?

Rick Turner's Renaissance Series is superlative. Piezo only so you have to be very tidy whilst playing but, tonally, these are amazing basses. I have a fretless 5 - subtle Highlander preamp gives quite a range of sounds with a single tone and volume control (there are presets for bass and overall output level).

The bass is very light in weight (about 6.5 lbs I think) and has a chambered body which minimises feedback for stage use.

The basses ship with Thomastik Infeld nylon-cored bass strings - exceptionally playable, very light and fast feel and incredible fretless tone and sustain. These are not cheap but they do last.

This could fulfil all your criteria in a single bass, jazz, fretless and acoustic (well, the latter in terms of build design, not really playable acoustically apart from private practice.

Great bass tho - adds a new dimension to bassplaying and bass sound - a rare thing these days.

http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/

8. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Ryan,

You have said little about the intended application. This matters. You need a wash tub bass to cover those campfire jams.

I have played the Rick Turner and the Tacoma and love them both. As a die-hard fretless player, I like the Fender P and J bass without frets. A non-acoustic bass will do better at higher volumes, I guess I would not recommend an acoustic bass as your primary bass. And depending on your situation, a fretless may not be the best choice for your workhorse bass. They really get tough to play if the drummer and guitarists are prone to playing loud.

No one here has your fingers or ears. It will be extremely difficult for us to guess what will suit you best. I recommend playing as many basses as possible along the lines of what you are looking for, and letting your hands decide, based on the opportunities that you come across.

Good luck!
    jc

9. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well, i already have an electric 4, and a 5. the five being my workwhores, but i neeed a difft. sound. so, i think i have finally found it, an upright. nice big, cool as all hell. now, i just need to talk the guy down on his price and i will be a proud owner of a real piece of art.

10. mijarra

mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    I have been thinking about getting an accoustic bass as well. Some people are raising questions about what's the use of them. Well, for me anyway, I can see 2 uses. One is for jamming with other accoustic guitarists, bongo percussion guys etc, without having to cart an amp around with me. The other is, I have some practice time late at night, but I don't think my family would be too happy if I fired up my 350w Hartke at 1 am. I think the accoustic would be perfect for getting some nice sounds to practice with while having less than offending volume and wall vibrations. Again, just to noodle around without a lot of gear. I don't know if I would ever use one at a show, if I am ever in a band again, but maybe in the studio or something. And I plan to go for a medium to low priced model, nothing too expensive.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

I think that was supposed to be "workhorse"

Then again, if you think you're selling out with the music you play, maybe your malapropism is the right word.:D

Will C.:cool:

12. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    hmmm.... band name

13. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    selling out? first i'd have to have somebody like my music. but, workwhore sounded cool to me because of the way i bought it and now just fondle it.