Fretless P-Bass - maple or rosewood fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grindylow, May 20, 2004.

1. Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I am going to be buying a fretless P-Bass and I am not sure whether to get a maple or rosewood fretboard. I have always played rosewood (mainly because I like the look), but I want to go for what will sound better this time. How would a maple fretboard affect the tone of a fretless P? How would a rosewood fretboard affect the tone of a fretless P?
  2. Maple will produce a brighter sound. If you go Maple, toss on some tapewound flats. Very nice indeed :bassist:
  3. Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    If I went with rosewood, what kind of strings should I use to make it sound good?
  4. I have Elixir nanowebs on my fretless Ibanez (they came already installed) and I love them. They're not bright sounding strings (for roundwounds) to start with, but are bright enough for me. The coating on them seems to protect the fingerboard more than if you used regular roundwounds. I've had the bass a year now, and there are no groove marks in the board whatsoever. The tone they give is brighter than flatwounds, but they have just enough thump which gives them a nice percussive sound. I feel these strings are just about perfect for any fretless; very good tone, yet not abrassive to the fingerboard. Keep in mind that my fingerboard is ebonol, which is plastic.

My second choice would be a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Bass strings. These are flatwounds, but are bright for flats, have excellent thump to them, and a definite old school tone. I have these on my Stingray. Very smooth to the touch. I may put these on my fretless next.

I like both sets very much, but if you want one recommendation, I'd go with the Elixirs.

Good luck, and congrats on going fretless. :cool:

Mike ;)
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer the brightness of Maple (and look).

SIT Power Flats are my choice for fretless
  6. Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    Alright, so a black P with a B/W/B pickguard, Badass 2 Bridge, Bartolini P pickup, and a maple fretboard. What kind of strings do you folks suggest I use? I have heard Black Tapewound. Suggestions?
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Is the P available with a fretless maple board? Is this a special order?
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its an Essex, not a Fender.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    in the 70's most fretless P basses were maple boards. I don't think they do it today.
  10. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Actually, most were rosewood. Maple is a little more scarce.

I have a 75 maple neck fretless P. I also have a fretless Jazz with a rosewood neck. Both without lines. I prefer the maple. I have it strung with GHS Bass Boomers. I'm not a big fan of flatwounds. The round wounds give me more ring.