Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless P-bass or Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grindylow, May 19, 2004.

1. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I own a fretted Jazz, so what would be a better fretless to get - a fretless P or a fretless Jazz?

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    You need to decide what kind of sound you are after. The J is probably the more popular choice and is probably more versatile. :bag: Also, since the neck feel is very different on the P, it would be easier to jump back and forth between a fretted and fretless J during a gig. JMHO. :)

3. Jazz, just because it has two pickups.

4. Jazz. Because it will feel familiar, and because of the tonal versatility.

5. Jazz, for sure. Fretless P's are kind of blah, Jazzes sing and growl.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Neither would be "better". You have to decide which sound you like better. We can't decide for you.

7. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    ...or a P-bass with 2 pickups...[​IMG]

8. Would you consider a fretless Stingray?

The tone is so good. :bassist:

Mike

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk hes deciding between which SX to get so i dont think an SX ray is an option ;)

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I'd go with [in-fact I have] a P with a J neck and a J bridge pickup.
    I have a 1970 P-bass with a chandler [the Fendler] fretless J neck with Duncan Antiquity P-J pickups, It gets the J growl and that P thump.

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    And no I didn't do this to a vintage bass, it was like this when I bought it.
    All I did was swap the EMGs the previous owner installed with the Duncan Antiquitys.

12. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Precison, because it has more letters in the name.

Seriously, it depends on the sound you're looking for. The Jazz, as folks have stated, has more tonal options. You can go from round, neck pickup mellow to cutting bridge pickup burp. However, the fretless P has a sound all it's own as well. The array of tones isn't as broad as the Jazz, but finger placement and technique can coax a lot from a P, as they can from any bass. There's a lot to be said for P-Bass punch. I think the fretless P's have a great warm, round sound that sit really well in a mix. Go dig up any of the Peter Murphy tracks (Cuts You Up, etc) with David J. playing bass to hear some good fretless P-Bass work.

If you're looking for a PJ combination on the cheaper end of things, you can usually find an old Japanese Fender Jazz Bass special on Ebay. I had one for a while, and though it was a bit neck heavy, it was a solid instrument.

J.