Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless p-bass rebuilding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tucker, Dec 25, 2002.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    I am rebuilding a 4 string P-bass into a fretless. So far I've had added in a bone nut. I have some questions on pick-ups. I just wanted a few suggestions on some decent pick-ups that would sound nice playing fretless. If you have any advice on a bridge that woud go well with it than that would be great. And also my knobs on the bass are a crappy. They keep on turning but work. But about the wiring, I want to replace the wiring kit. How should I go about this? Any one that has had experience with this kind of work please feel free to throw in some advice. I would really appreciate it.

2. It's amazing how close this post is to a "Pickup" post. Hmmm...well, I'll be danged! - it IS a "Pickup" post and I bet it would be better if it was in the "Pickup" forum.

3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Well I was originally going to put it in pick up forum but I thought because the addition of the setting up the bridge and bass and stuff, people would bitch at me and tell me to put it in setup forum, so I apologize.

4. Nah thats cool. When the pickup aspect is answered, it'll probably come back to Setup, so dont worry ;)

:D:D

Merls

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    well, it ain't a fretless Fender but [​IMG] --

[​IMG]

DiMarzio Split-P (DP127) pickup. Very sensitive, very hot sum'gun.
    Musician's Friend has `em for ~$70. These pups have a wide
    "dynamic range" (for lack of a better term). Chording and
    tapping come through cleanly.

Gotoh 201 bridge. Plenty heavy with nice sustain if need be.
    Another option would be a Gotoh 203. I think that's Stew-Mac's
    cat. #0093 (coupla' extra holes). Less "zing" and more "thump".
    I got the knobs at Stew-Mac also (#0169-B). They got a good
    hefty feel to `em.

I got CTS pots from Discount Guitar Parts coz I wanted a
    250KΩ LINEAR taper for the tone control. However, Stew-Mac
    does offer a complete "kit" for P basses -- pots, cap, jack, and
    wiring diagram.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This + This = Yummy Tone

(IMO anyway! :) )

-robert

7. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Depends on the tone you are looking for. I would say if you want a slammin dub machine, Get a basslines Quarter Pound and throw on a set of flat wounds. I checked your influences and I assume you are probably looking for annother tone. The basslines Hot pickups have a bigger midrange response so they should give you better "mwah" Check out http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/hardware.htm
    for bridges and wiring needs. I suggest basslines for the only reason that if you dont like the sound, you can return them.

If you really want to get crafty, you can add a jazz pickup, but I would buy the pickup first, find outwhere the pole pieces line up and then rout the hole for it. www.stewmac.com has the special routing bits and templets

My friend got perfect jaco tone witha set of basslines HOT jazz pickups

8. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    What kind of neck would you advise me on choosing for a nice, smooth sound? This question is for anyone. Give me your preferences on what you like.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I love my all-wenge Warmoth neck... you can check it out from the link in my signature. Unfinished wenge, great feel and tone, looks nice as well.

10. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I love my maple/pao ferro/polypoxy neck it came from warmoth as well. It has extremely versital tone. I can go from dub with flats to serious mwah ala' continum with roto sounds. I am using EMG selects (bad reputation so I hear) and just havent gotten around to replacing them because it sound so versital.

11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd go Bartolini. They seem to capture the natural bassy sound of a bass guitar. I love em.