fretless P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Sep 13, 2005.

1. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    everyone tends to talk about the fretless Jbass, but i've got a cheap old P (not by fender) that i'm thinking about defretting. does anyone use fretless p's or is that just kind of a useless idea?
  2. A great idea, IMO...
  3. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Saw a really nice one on Bassnw (said to have been professionally done)a few months ago..someone snapped it up in a hurry.
  4. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, i am looking forward to the darker thump sound, should be pretty good for working with accoustic bands.
  5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    My fretless Washburn has a single P pickup, and I like the tone.
  6. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    In the 1970s you could buy a fretless Precision. You could not buy a fretless Jazz.

I've had a couple of them (still have one), and they're very nice.
  7. Fretless P's won't have that farty Jaco sound...I imagine that they'd have a tamer sit-in-the-mix kind of tone...

But while I really appreciate what Jaco did, I never really did aspire to that kind of sound myself.

Fretless P? Go for it
  8. man i own a p bass that the dude before me made fretless, the things like silk man, both tone and feel. its like an upright with that beautiful electric growl. man did fender know how to make a bass. that of course, is all my opinion and mine alone. ;)
  9. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

JenderFazz has a fretless squire Pbass. I don't know about how often he uses it, but I believe he does use it, and probably likes it.
  11. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    sweet! i feel way better about trying this out after hearing some of those comments. this bass is going to be really tight - i've already switched out the bridge for a badass, and the pups for a seymour duncan quarter pounder.
    while i'm down and dirty on the defretting processing, i'm probably gonna throw a graphite nut on there.
    thanks guys, i'm really stoked about this now.
  12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    My first bass was a P clone that I ripped the frets out of. Crappy bass, but it was a step in the right direction. I've had two decent fretless P basses since and they have been great basses. The QPs are a good pickup choice with plenty of midrange detail so you should be fine there. Don't skimp on the setup.
  13. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, i'm actually going to take the bass to get professionally set up once i'm done with the dirty work. that 70's P is gorgeous, by the way.
  14. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    I have a fretless Yamaha RBX260 with flat´s. The sound is really thumpy, it sounds nothing like a fretless jazz, it sounds very dark and as said thumpy.
  15. I'm pretty sure David Gilmour played a fretless Precision on Pink Floyd's Hey You. Sweet tone.
  16. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, i always forget how much i like gilmour's playing.