Fretless P, J/J, P/J, or Other? Which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Fretless P

7 vote(s)
  2. Fretless J/J

36 vote(s)
  3. Fretless P/J

19 vote(s)
  4. Other (Please Specify)

8 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Seems as if most Fretless basses (at least the ones that I've seen) have a J/J pickup configuration.

What's your preference and why?
  2. J/J is pretty good since it's a universal configuration. I think P alone gives the best impersonation of an upright, but lacks a bit of high end. P/J seems to be a good compromise in this case. Also, you can always solo the bridge pickup and get that Jaco tone, or solo the neck pickup for fatness.

PS: you might want to make this a poll?
  3. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I think the post showed up before the poll?

Thanks for the reply.
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Series/parallel mod a J/J and you get a very wide variety of tones. Jazzes are very popular for a good reason, as I recently discovered when i got mine.
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Music Man humbucker at the neck, jazz single coil at the bridge. (See profile).
  6. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Yes, the JJ fretless IS the most popular option. Maybe that's why I DON'T like it (or the way it sounds). I prefer a single pup, P or MM. FWIW, my 3 fretless basses (AND 3 of my fretted basses) ALL have Basslines SMB-5A AlNiCo MM-type pups.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've been jones'n for a fretless P/P. reverse like Lee Sklar?
  8. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Hmm I would have amswered JJ but the fretless I've had forever is a P. The JJ PJ MM have came and gone but the old 84 P fretless is still behind me on the stand.
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    J/J is fairly "universal" yes - because the 2 pickups in these positions work so well together, fretted or fretless.

Also, spot on with the comments about P alone and P/J.
  10. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    My MIJ fretless jazz special (P/J) is my favorite bass & main player. Great thump & if you solo the bridge you get the sweet jazz whine.