1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless P/J - SD 1/4 Pounders or Dimarzio Ultra P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Hello all, Which pup combo would be better on a fender rosewood P/J setup with Basswood Body? (using a Badass II Bridge).

SD 1/4 Pounders or Dimarzio Ultra P/J?

I hoping to find pickups that will give good clarity with plenty of output and hopefully somewhat of a DoubleBass similiation.

The neck is from an early 70's P bass, the body is from a mid 80's MIJ Jass Bass Special. The current pups are stock to the body (MIJ mid 80's).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Not sure if this helps you, but I'm near to putting a Dimarzio DP126 set (Model P+Model J) in my bass. My bass (fretless Streamer P/J) couldn't be more different from yours (Cherry body, Maple+Bubinga neck w/ ebony board, and EMG/MEC electronics), but I've heard good things about that set for fretless, and they're not really expensive to try. I might even go passive with them.

3. I have Dimarzio Ultra jazz pups in my fretless (note Jazz pups - not the P+J set).

I find them to have a very low output.

They also sound quite "thin".

I'm a little dissapointed with them.

They'll be going on eBay soon.