Fretless P offer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 16, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I walked into my local music store yesterday. I get chatting to some I guy I know that works there and it turns out hes selling his nrearly new american P bass, that he had recently just defreted.

Ok so the story goes he took out the frets and sanded it down but because he didn't use a radial sander it wasn't flat. So he took it to a pro who machined off the fretboard and added a lovely figured ebony board with albony dots (No lines) Now i've played this bass and it feels like silk but should I get it.

BTW he wants 500 quid thats about $750 including hard case.

Can I really justify this bass (My fifth one) especially when I've just joined a mettalica type band? How often would I really use a fretless?
    Or is this an absolute steal?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steve,

Fretless P basses have a really distinctive tone, but they have just one tone, and slight variations on it... It can be a great instrument, but you won't get close to a lot of the classic fretless sounds, particularly the Jaco thing, without a back pickup...

Having said that, that's not neccssarily a bad thing. If he'll let you, it'd be good to borrow it for a couple of days and see how you get on...

...oh and factor in the cost of getting lines added to it, when you realise just how daft it is to play a bass without them... :D

3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I don't mind about the classic fretless tone because it does sound nice, but would I beable to get that P bass growl and a less fretless sound.

When I played this bass it felt like I was playing glass it was that smooth.

oooOOOooo and the harmonics hes got TI Flats on it and they ring like church bells.

Oh its sunburst BTW if that makes much of a difference.

Thanks for the quick responses.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Before you even think about the price, think about how much you want to have this bass. However good a deal, it will be a waste if it doesn't get played much.

If you think you'll make a reasonable amount of use of it and, taking into account any of your other instruments that you might then want to sell, you can afford it without hurting your ability to meet you existing and expected financial commitments, then it might be worth pursuing.

5. Valid point Wulf!

I own an 83 fender fretless with a maple board and it gets plenty of studio use but not much live work!