Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless P or P/J with flats? Which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 3, 2004.

1. I have a nice Fender Jazz. I would like to get another bass that would sit well in an acoustic setting, or just give me another tone that I can't get with the Jazz. I don't want an acoustic bass, and I am not sure about the semi-hollow's.

Which would be better: a fretless P-bass or a P/J with flats?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It would depend on the sound you are after. My personal preference would be the P/J for the added flexibility.

Dan

3. Would the P/J with flats sit well in an acoustic jam? Would you fingerstlye it or use a pick?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    With flats i would suggest fingerstyle.

It should sit fine in an acoustic jam.

Mainly what you have to decide is whether you want 'muah' or not. The fretless will give you some muah... fretted, not really.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    what do you mean with muah????? does any of your fretlees basses has cats intead of frets???

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I find it sits well in the mix. I play mainly fingerstyle (actually I suck with a pick at the moment) and it sounds just right - fat, full, and right in the middle.

Dan

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    muah is the characteristic sound of a fretless. and i have yet to meet a cat that goes "muah" , its more of a "meow".

8. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    As far as fretless w/ flatwounds goes, how much of the mwah is related to the string tension? I assume that mwah comes from the string vibrating against the fingerboard near the fingers, so I'd guess that fatter strings would mwah less dramatically than lighter gauged strings. Does that sound about right?

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I get the most mwah from 105's or 100's. Anything else seems too muddy to me or not strong enough. But that is just my preference based on my playing style. Generally I think you may be correct.

Dan

10. What kind of flats would you use on a P/J? Stainless flats, tapewounds, or those hybrid tapewound stainless strings?

11. Anyone? Which strings would you use? :D

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would use stainless flats.

13. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I have a fretless P/J sitting right next to me, that I have used with an acoustic band (with drums and acoustic guitar, and an electric guitar.) I have Fender flats on it because they tend to sound pretty dead and have a lot more umph then Chromes (I use chromes on my fretted.)

This is a recording with that bass, it was direct.

14. So, you would use Fender Chromes on a fretted P/J?

15. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    D'Addario Chromes on a Fretted P, Fender Stainless on Fretless P/J. I'm going to buy some Fender Tapewounds next time I need to change my fretless strings just to see how they sound.

16. And the D'Addario Chromes are a flatwound string - what makes them a "chrome"?

17. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    It's the winding, instead of nickel or stainless they are chrome. The chromes are brighter than the fender but still have the distinct flatwound sound.