Fretless P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnnySocko, May 31, 2001.

1. JohnnySocko

Apr 24, 2001
    Still searching for the right bass, I went to my local music store and found a Fender P-Bass. It was used, it had a 62 body with a 72 neck, fretless. It was in great shape and I loved the sound of the fretless. Any thoughts on this bass be greatly appreciated, oh he was selling it for 400. Thanks guys.

2. '62? $400? if it´s really a '62 P-bass, I´d say it´s worth it...

but how can a 39 year old bassbe in great shape? :)

anyway, if you like it, I´d say go for it. $400 isn´t _that_ much....
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't think P's were ever produced from-the-factory fretless. I mean, if you goto and check out the mim P, it'll say that the name came from it being a fretted bass. So it'd be an oxymoron if it's a "fretless precision"... hmm...

But, regardless, it should be worth it.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They made quiet a few fretless Precision basses, especially during the 70's and 80's. Lots of them.
  5. JohnnySocko

Apr 24, 2001
    So you guys think itd be a good buy? Sure it had a few nicks but nothing serious. The guy said it was a really nice bass. I know this will sound stupid, but I wanna know what I'm may buy, but someone else put a different neck on it right? Since the body and the neck is a different year. Bare with me guys, thanks.

6. Regardless of the fact that it is nonoriginal (neck swap) and that I'm not in the market for another fretless.. if someone offered that to me for $400 and it seemed fine.. I would own it already. :)
  7. JohnnySocko

Apr 24, 2001
    But the neck swap like that, might of the guy done a bad job on that? Should that bring down the price any or anything like that? Well crap, sorry about the new thread.

8. dpmontany

Jun 2, 2001
    It's pretty hard to mes up a neck swap. Just check the neck for twists or other malformaties, and make sure the screwholes in the neck aren't striped. I have a '85 F/L that I love. Maybe one of the last S/N'd USA basses.
    For $400, go for it.

9. Sting made extensive use of a fretless Precision on the first couple of Police albums. You can really hear that deep growl in songs like "Contact" and "Message In a Bottle."
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A '72 fretless neck is worth almost that much by itself, and I'm sure that a '62 body probably is too.

Is it a maple fingerboard with the thick lacquer finish? I used to want one of those real bad. :)

If the neck is straight and the body is not too dinged up, and if the electronics sound good, I would pay $400 for that in a heartbeat.