1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless PBass Lyte

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popgadget, Aug 29, 2007.

1. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Does anyone know the history of these?
    I have had one for quite a while, but I bought it used. It concerns me that it is the only one I have ever seen, because replacing it would be difficult. I have seen several of the same deluxe model with fretted necks, but never another fretless. I believe that it is a factory neck, it is unlined, and has all of the original Fender MIJ markings and serial # on the head stock.
    I added EMG P-J pups and replaced the OEM preamp and controls with 18v EMG electronics which was a big improvement over the fender stuff. I love it dearly, and would be quite sad if anything ever happened to it.
    I have never beeen able to find out anything about Fender Japan production, things like how many were made, and what years they were made. I really consider the Lyte as a largely undiscovered jewel. (although I have seen pictures of some pretty notable players with one). Any additional info about them would be greatly appreciated.

2. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    as far as I know they never made a factory fretless version of the Lyte. Great bass. I used to own one in a beautiful violin burst finish that I had made into a fretless a long time ago.
    I wouldn't worry about replacing it cause you could easily get another one (there are always used ones floating around)and convert it to fretless or just get another fretless neck.

If you have the serial number try giving fender customer support a call. They gave me info on a MIJ gu*tar that I had based on the serial number so they should be able to tell you something about yours.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The P-bass Lyte was made in two versions from about 1998-2001, the Standard and the Deluxe. Both are MIJ. The have a downsized basswood body, bolt-on neck with 22 frets. The Standard has PJ style pups. There is no mention of a fretless version. It's possible yours has a replaced neck or was made fretless by the previous owner.

4. popgadget

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    It sure looks like a factory neck, as I said it has all of the ractory headstock markings, and there are postion dots on the top of the neck that coincide with finger postion , rather than between where frets would be, making it even more likely that it was made that way. Replacing the body would be easy, I guess I should document the neck dimensions so I could have one made if I had to.
    Thanks for the input.

5. bassthoven

bassthoven

Sep 2, 2007
    I have a fretted one of these from around 1991, bought it new. It's a pretty good bass, I've upgraded the pups and put a Tremnut on it. Mines black with gold metal flake and gold hardware. Be aware the the neck dimensions, althought similar to the Jazz Bass neck, it is not the same. I have been researching, looking for a replacement, and it's dimensions do not match the standard Fender neck heel. There is a note to this effect on Warmoth's web site. http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2
    I measured mine and found the heel is about 2 3/8" wide and not the standard 2 1/2" so I'm still looking to find a replacement. I would like to change mine to a fretless, you're luck to have the one you own, I can't say I've ever seen a fretless one.

6. popgadget

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Mine is the "deluxe" model with the oil finished mahogany body and the soap bar sized bridge pup. (it now has EMG P-J pups). I noticed the note on the Warmoth site also. However because the standard Jazz neck has a larger heel, I imagine that it could be cut down to fit.

7. popgadget

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Bump-
    Still Curious

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Me too. I've never seen a fretless P-Lyte. I'm in the market for a fretted P-Lyte. A friend of mine has one and I like it. I think it will probably need new pickups, though. But I'll probably make it passive instead of active.

9. popgadget

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    There is a difference in pickups and electronics between the standard and deluxe models. The deluxe has a soap bar sized bridge pickup and controls for volume, balance, high, mid and low boost and cut.It also has an oil finished mahogany body and gold hardware.