Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 25, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I was wondering if there is such thing as a fretless pedal?I want the mwahhh and the whole fretless sound but i only have one bass and dont wanna screw it up if i tried defretting it.

If there is one,who makes it and how much do they cost?

2. there is one that i know of. it's in one of those effects pedals with like 100 other effects but the name isn't coming to me right now. hopefully it will later.

3. multieffect pedals sometimes have them and, like every other effect on those evil boxes, they are terrible

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    At first I thought this thread was about pedals that didn't have frets in them... "No problem there" I thought... heheh... heh... ~ahem~.

Anyway, the Zoom BFX-708 does have a "fretless simulator", however, it really doesn't work that great. When I got the pedal my main bass was a fretless, so I couldn't really tell if it was doing the job until I got my fretted bass, and then I just realized it's a fast-acting version of the "slow attack" volume effect. That is, everytime you play a note, the volume is decreased really fast, and then it brings it up in a smooth taper really fast, KIND OF giving you the fretless sound. But not really. The problem lies in playing lots of notes really fast- that's when it skips a few notes, and they sound "fretted" and the illusion is gone. But, hey, if you're on a budget, check it out- it's only about $139 these days. Realize the only way to get the fretless sound is to buy a fretless, but if you want a SOMEWHAT but not really fretless sound, check out the Zoom.

Happy Hunting!

5. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    lol
    i saw a fretless pedal, but on the box or manual or something it said that its best use on single notes. meaning that if you slide, it just sounds like a fretted bass, and is nearly completely pointless

6. billybrix

billybrix

Jan 23, 2009
    Central PA
    I have an older DOD Bass30 and a DigiTech BP80. The "fretless" effect in both is almost identical. (Altho the DOD has more setting options.) I tried one of the $400 Boss pedals and it was NOT significantly better. As SuperDuck sez it's basically a fast tracking volume swell. The space between the notes triggers the effect. If you're playing fast or letting notes ring it loses track. THAT SAID, if you want it to simulate a bowed cello in a slow song it works pretty well. I use that and a POG to do some string section parts on a few slow songs. I probably wouldn't take it into the studio but it works OK live.

AND, BTW, the older DOD pedal has fewer modeling patches but better effects than any of the Digitechs. You might be able to find one cheap on eBay.

7. bassguy57

bassguy57

Jul 14, 2009
    Seems like the answer would be an inexpensive fretless bass...

8. My old Digitech BP8 has some sort of Fretless Sim, but it's basically a sort of auto-wah. Totally useless.
    However, I stumbled across a very intresting effects cuircuit surfin' the web searchng for a intresting DIY pedal project for myself.
    It's the "Jawari" cuircuit that is supposed to emulate the sound of a sitar. That cuircuit CUOLD be a very good candidate for a fairly simple solution to make some sort of "Fretless Simulator"-pedal.
    Check it out here: http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
    But the problem is that no-one produces something like this...

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    :eyebrow:

:eek:

10. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    You just need to get a good mwah pedal... hahahahe.....:rollno: Nothing beats musicians trying to be funny.

11. 4 out of 5 can't smell the rotten flesh...