1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless / Pickup Erine Ball Earthwood ABG Rare?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wannabass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. I was wondering if anyone else out there has one of these? I found another post that stated there were only a dozen or so made but I thought I would throw this out there to see. I am a bit dissapointed as I cannot play fretless very well but how dissapointed can one with an Earthwood in their hands?
    And another question is the pickup, This has one under the bridge...Was it standard?
    Thanks for any info..

2. I've never seen one. Congratulations on landing that bass...I saw that ad too and you got a great deal. Is the top warped near the bridge?
    Earthwoods came with a piezo pickup in the bridge. How does your sound? Mine doesn't work.

3. Hey Kungfusherriff, It plays but until I have my Luither look at it I don't want to take the chance. Split from bridge to body but dont think it is serious. It sounds just awesome. The pickup is very low in volume.
    If you ever wanted to get yours running I know the best luither in town, maybe the country.

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    can you post pic please...

5. http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/bassahaulic/?action=view&current=079.jpg[img]
    [img]http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/bassahaulic/?action=view&current=081.jpg[img]
    [img]http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/bassahaulic/?action=view&current=082.jpg[img]

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    thats a sweet axe... the body is huge though... i dont own and dont really plan on owning an acoustic bass guitar but if i ever encountered one of these id sure jump on it.

7. That split's not too bad. The top behind the bridge is a major weak spot on these basses, and if yours was compromised it would have torn itself apart under string tension. A little glue-and-clamp job and she'll be solid. I'm more worried about the strap attached to the headstock, which could screw with the neck.
    You might want to remove the neck and check the heel for a build date. I thought the basses you strung from the inside were the earlier ones, but I'm probably wrong.

8. JDR

JDR

Mar 8, 2008
    I have a lined fretless Earthwood that was made for me in 1983. From what I can tell from your photos, mine looks the same except for the fretlines and dots on the fingerboard and along the edge of the fingerboard, which has 16 fret positions. Like yours, mine strings from inside the body. It originally came with Ernie Ball Earthwood phosphor bronze strings but I've used LaBella nylon tapewounds for years. It came with Barcus-Berry Hot Dots but Larry Fishman made me a piezo element that Mark Stevens, then of Austin, TX, installed under the bridge sometime in the mid-80s. Like yours, mine has a button on the body behind the neck where a strap can be attached. It came with a padded gig bag, which I still have, but I had a hardshell case made by Harptone back in the mid-80s, that Mandolin Brothers facilitated. I made all of the initial arrangements for the bass with Sterling Ball, who said at the time that the basses were not in production but only being made to order. (I think they ceased to make them at all soon thereafter.) They would not sell it directly to me but said I could purchase it through any retailer who sold their products. I therefore had it shipped to West Music in Iowa City and purchased it from Steve West out of loyalty as that was one of several area stores (along with Everett's in Washington, Hiltbruner's and Keeney's in Cedar Rapids, and O'Brien Music in Iowa City) that I frequented in my youth. While it's the only ABG I've owned--at the time, the choices were limited to short-scaled Guilds and Harptones, the Earthwood, and a few custom products--as I've mentioned before, it's the only one I've found that can hold its own in an acoustic setting, no doubt due to its size.