Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless players. The Steve Bailey fretless system any experience?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tjclem, Feb 16, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    kkaarrll likes this.
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    sorry for the high jack, but what kind of bass does Steve bailey play?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Aria.

IMO IME a good electronics package is a good electronics package. I've heard this in basses and didn't find anything special about it. My favorite fretless systems are by Bartolini and I've also heard some nice piezo systems. The reason I give the nod to Barts is because not only do they sound sweet on a fretless (smooth and/or punchy) when played as a fretless, on a few basses I own they work extremely well in a slap vibe too. Much easier said than done.

I didn't find that to be the case with the piezo systems. It ultimately depends on what you want.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to Pickups.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I just sold one a couple weeks ago. Don't use onboards so didn't even check it out. The guy that bought it installed it instantly and was very pleased. You can do a search on ebay in completed items for "Steve Bailey Bass Preamp" and pull it up and email him from there. I imagine he'd be happy to answer any questions. He did install it in a fretted bass though. Kind of ironic cause I kept the pups and they're in a fretted bass as well. Best actives to date. There's a review on them in Dimento's J Pup Experiment.

6. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain

Its a personal opinion, but I must say that the sound steve gets in the bass-extreme sessions with Wooten, is probably the worse sound you can get on a frettless.

Maybe its that way to compensate since there are 2 basses playing at the same time.

Its just terrible, brittle and with tons of fx. :spit:

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Interesting. I got a set of Fralin's and a Bart pre-amp to build it with now all I have to decide is the wood......t

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Personally I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it. In my experience the body can practically be made from anything, the neck is where the tone is and that can't be controlled with any accuracy, you'll know when it's done (although some luthiers put harder fingerbaord with a comparably softer wood neck).

I don't know anybody who can intentionally replicate the acoustic tone of another bass with any accuracy of significance - or even claims they can for that matter. Not that it can't happen, it's just highly improbable it would be on purpose.

9. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'll be installing this pickup system in a fretless I'm finishing up right now. It won't be complete for another couple weeks, but if you can wait, I'll post a complete review then.

10. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I tried the Steve Bailey set . . . did not like the sound. Too sterile(I guess I just don't like active Pups).
    Also, it probably has a lot to do with my results that I've used Fender P(single Pup) and/or single Pup MM humbucker for 40 years . . . I just don't like Fender J sounds - haven't ever liked that "undefined, unfocused" sound: And that S. Bailey set is loosely based on that J sound.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I prefer passives myself as well as a vintage tone for the most part. I ran the Bailey's straight to jacks and they really have a passive quality about them. Blind folded, I'd never guess they were actives. I like 'em personally, active or not.

I've found in running through pots (and even more so) preamps, that often it really takes some life out of pups that have a rawness about them - including actives (as I had more of them). In fact I was amazed at the how passive a tone I pulled from an EMG LJ-5 mounted mid position ran straight to the jack. It was part of a PJ set that was my first transplant and all I played for my first year on bass. The harness and BTC preamp just sucked that aspect right out of them.

Pups will definetly sound different with different variables, although they will retain their primary characteristics regardless. Often it's the little things that make a big difference.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This is, of course, a long-standing point of contention, and one with which I personally do not agree, especially after having owned a Cort Curbow.

But I don't seek delve into this can of worms any further...

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep I hear that. Do you know any luthier who if you bring a bass to them and say, build me one with the same acoustic properties as this one, they can do it? Cause I really would like to know of some.

14. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I bought this Friday on ebay. It has the Bailey system. Wont get it in the mail for a few days though
    [​IMG]

15. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    This Steve Baily system is EXCELLENT ! Im very happy. I just got this bass today, and gave it a 2 hr workout. This is 18 volt , and Im very pleased with the tone.

[​IMG]