Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Playing...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LowF#, Apr 3, 2002.

1. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    Hey all you fretless players I have a question for you. How long was it after you started to play bass that you were able to comfortably move to a fretless bass? What changes were involved and what were some challenges you faced? Since I've never played a fretless before, excuse this question but does the technique involve being able to visualize where all the frets are at to be able to play one or is your technique different?? As always, thanks for everyones help! ;)

2. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    I am still relatively new to bass, I have been playing for almost 2 years now, and have had a fretless bass for about 6 months of that time. For me the transition to a fretless bass (mine is lined btw) was really nice, they neck was anrrower which made playing easier, and i found it smoother and more relaxed than fretted bass. what I did find though was that a greater degree of precision was needed, and came with practice. I have also played unlined fretless basses and found the playing to be much the same, spacing and patterns with your fingers, they help you remember. AND THE MORE YOU PLAY THE BETTER YOUR EAR WITH BECOME AND YOU WILL be able to realsie if you are playing the wrong note or are a wee touch sharp here and there

hope I have helped

the red hot bassist

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i have been playing for about 1 1/2 to 2 years and
    have recently (3 weeks) started to play fretless after i had been "afraid of it" for a few weeks/months.

of course it's a new experience and i still have to practice a lot - but it's like that with all new things you start.

i would even go so far and say that if one had the right mentality (doesn't get frustrated without fast success/progress) he could start on fretless without ever touching a fretted bass.
    people starting to play violin, cello or double bass have to overcome similar hurdles, i think.

4. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    hey chris, dosent that wonderfull sound make up for all mistakes!!!!!