1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless practice helps technique!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dabass, Oct 21, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Have other fellow TBers noticed that playing or practicing fretless really helps technique! I find playing fretless forces me to listen more carefully and slow down. More importantly it seems to "magnify" technique flaws......I found it really helps my playing.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I couldn't agree more. I'm making the transition to fretless so I'm practicing about 8-10 hours a week on fretless and then playing weekends on the fretted. I totally agree that not only is there an improvement in hand position and other little part of basic technique, but I hear my part in the band much clearer.... some kind of enhanced listening skill perhaps.

That said... I'd like to add that after a weekend of gigs on the fretted, it takes a while to get the fretless thing going on Monday. Which, I think, is a part of the OP's point that fretless is a more controlled technique and that fretless somehow 'allows' a certain level of sloppiness.

At least that's my $.02 this morning.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021