Fretless Precision: brief history of...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I saw a fretless P on Ebay. I think the guy billed it as a '75. I wasn't going to buy that one, but it rekindled my interest in the fretless P.

Then I realised that I might not be able to tell the real thing from a fake as/when/if it came time to part with my money.

So, if possible, could anyone help me with the history of the fretless P?

And if anyone's got sound advice as to how to tell the pup from the real thing, the ones to look out for and the ones to avoid, I'd be V grateful.

I did a search but there's little specific info available.

2. The only thing I know about 70s fretless Ps is that they had unlined fingerboards.
  3. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I believe the fretless P was introduced in late 1969 or 1970. Choice of rosewood or maple boards, just like fretted, with the rosewood being more popular. I have never seen one like these made after 1980. Don't know what more there is to say about 'em...

I've noticed that they seem to go for substantially less than fretted models - probably 'cause there's much less demand. For that reason - that there's not a whole lot of $$ in them - I wouldn't worry about counterfeits. It's not worth it to make a counterfeit for $500.
  4. That's fine. Thanks.

And is Mr the place to go to check serial numbers on these things?