Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Im a sock, May 20, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hey everybody, I'm just pumped about doing this (converting a fretted to a fretless), and I just wanted to show off some of my work so far.

A little background of the bass: It's an Elektra Phoenix that was sitting in my buddy's basement for at least 10 years... he gave it to me for free. Obviously the person who owned it before me didn't take care of it, so I replaced the cavity electronics and installed a Basslines QuarterPound pickup. Unfortunatly the neck wood was extremely brittle, and it ended up splintering quite a bit when I removed the frets, even after I rubbed it down with lemon oil. You'll see in the pictures there the huge chunk of wood that came out near the 3rd fret... I evened it out pretty good with the wood filler... you can't even tell it's there. I filled in the fret holes with wood filler and then stained the neck with a mixture of ebony and red mohogany stain. It's starting to look much better than I thought it was going too... hopefully it sounds decent.

Anyways I'll keep everyone updated and post some final pics in a few weeks once I'm done. :D :cool:

First, the neck (that junk near where the nut is supposed to be is masking tape):
    [​IMG]

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Closeup of the 3rd fret:
    [​IMG]

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The body:
    [​IMG]

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The electronics (kinda crappy picture here):
    [​IMG]

5. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    humm is it heavy?
    the finish is beautiful... pearl white... nhami! ;)

I believe it will make a quite good fretless...

Keep us informed :D

6. Cool! Good work ! :)

Could we get some clips when it's over? And keep the pix coming, nothign like a bass in progress!!

7. :cool:

Wow, I like it!!!! What did you use for wood filler? How did you get the filled slots to have similar color to the fingerboard??

:cool:

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I used Famowood. It worked nicely. To make it a similar color to the fingerboard I used stain - I alternated ebony with red mahogany colors... i stained it 4 times total. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    How hard is that wood filler? If its at all soft, your strings will wear dents in it jiffy quick. If it is soft, I'd suggest a poly coat for the fingerboard. If its hard, just let it be. Good for you for taking on such a project, its great to learn how these things work!

10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Poly coat drying as I type :D