1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless question and new guy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, May 28, 2001.

  1. Hi um i new here i just joined so i'll get right to my poin. i saw a erine ball music man and i was wondering with a fretless model can you have postion markers where they would beon the neck? like training wheels?

    D-U-M-B Everyones accusing me!

    The Ramones
  2. Yes, many fretless basses come with lines where the frets would be on the fingerboard. My Yamaha has them, and Fenders come with them too. You can look at them like training wheels, but many experienced fretless players use them, it's just a matter of choice.
  3. I'm not quite sure I understand your question, so I will answer it in each way I think it could be meant.

    There are several different types of fretless markings.

    There is the lined fingerboard, which has lines across the fretboard in the places where frets would be on a fretted bass. You play the note with your finger directly on the line, not behind it as with fretted.

    The side markers on the neck are a little more varied. Often, the markers are located where the fret would be, instead of between them as with a standard fretted bass.

    Rarely have I seen a fretless bass with markers on the face of the fingerboard. The exception to this are basses that were once fretted and have been converted to fretless.

    I don't know if you call any of these things "training wheels". I know I don't often look at the lines on my bass, but on occasion I will look down at them. Don't call them training wheels, call them reference. Like a dictionary, you don't need it everytime you open your mouth, but on occasion you might need to check something.

    I hope I've helped somehow. If you could be a little more specific with what it is you are hoping to learn, I could probably help more.

    (and no signing your name FF like I do!)

  4. thanks for your help guys. now if i could just BUY a fretless

    D-U-M-B Everyones accusing me

    -The Ramones
  5. snyderz


    Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If you were refering to fret lines, the EB site states that the fretless model comes in lined and unlined.
  6. Scott Cutrer

    Scott Cutrer Guest

    Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey Freaky, email me if you are looking for a fretless now, lined or unlined there are several available for sale all over the net right now. Even a few Stingrays and G&L's. Look here at the talk bass for sale board at the bottom. There are two fretlesses there right now, a G&L and a MIA Deluxe Fender Jazz.
    Good Luck

Share This Page