Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moxa13, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    Fretless Bass Quest:

I want an unlined fretless bass. Four or five string. The problem is, that I am having a hard time finding one. I don’t want lines, and I know rondo has some. The thing is that I have not had a lot of satisfaction ordering online. It is not the online services fault. I get the bass home, I play it, and it is not what I want. (I am now a firm believer in playing before purchasing.) So here is my plan. Purchase a used bass (probably yamaha, ibanez, or fender) take it to a local shop (shameless plug: Honest Ron’s here in Oklahoma City, the guy ROCKS!!!) and get an unlined neck of my choice replaced on it. I figure this way I can get a better feel for the bass, and get it to my specifications. I figure this whole thing to cost about 350.00 to 450.00 dollars. Any advice about the wood I should pick for the neck? Any other suggestions from the collective wisdom of TB is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you want to keep your costs down, you'll probably need to stay with a maple neck since they are commonly available. Fingerboard wood is a matter of personal preference. You will also be limited by what is available to you in your price range.

My personal favorite is ebony for a fretless fingerboard. The black fingerboard just looks incredible and I like the sound I get from an ebony board.

3. I have an 83' Fender fretless with a Maple neck and I love the tones this baby can produce.

I prefer Rosewood on my fretted necks but the fretless gets maple, just my taste!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. I've got mine for sale on ebay. Auction #2576153618 I built it last year.

5. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Hey guys!

A great neck is what makes a great fretless. maple is a good choice, 5pc maple/purpleheart would be ideal (in my opinion, whatever that's worth.) For me an ebony board gives that great fretless growl.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How come unlined maple fretless necks are pretty rare (accept on customs) ?

7. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    it's probably because they think people want to see where they're going rather than rely on their ear and feel.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Moxa13,

Here's my advice: Look for a local Dean dealer.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    But then why are unlined ebony and rosewood boards common?

10. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    most of the basses i've seen are lined, but the slots break up the grain and this has an effect on tone. it could just be in my head, but i know some guys who HATE lined fretlesses.

11. WORD

Don't get JUST a neck. That will be a pain in YOURS! Get an S.U.B. fretless or some other Korean masterpiece for around $400-500.