Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scottgun, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I just got a old MIJ Fretless Fender Jazz. It plays great but there was something weird. When I played in the upper register of the g string, I was hearing beats in the notes that got faster as I went higher. It was almost as if there was a chorus effect on them. (No, I didn't have a chorus effect running that I was unaware of). It did not seem to be from the other strings because I muted them with my other fingers.

After fiddling and thinking, I noticed the previous owner had raised the pickups as close to the strings as they would go. I lowered them all the way and the chorus effect went away for the most part.

Has anyone encountered this or know what it is? Is it because of lame pickups? :confused:

Scott

2. Pickups have a magnetic field. Too close to the strings and they kind of impede on their vibration. They actually pull the strings and so you hear that vibrato. It's perfectly normal, but yeah, lower the pickups a little.