1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 7StringBassist, Apr 22, 2009.

1. How many coats of epoxy is good against scratching if I decide to use rounds.

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    use flats, youll be happier with it in the end, or tape wounds, they really give a good thump

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Remember that epoxy will change the sound.
    I recommend trying something like polyurethane first. It's easier to get off if you decide that you don't like the sound.
    I went back and forth a few times before settling on some flats and a natural board.
    The natural board tends to yield a more natural, woody sound and the poly always sounded like it had this artificial high end (IMO).
    TI's are nice on fretless.

4. I have never hard coated a fretless bass. I have listened to many wonderful sounding upright basses over the years and I don't remember any being coated. My idea of a fretless bass is to try to come closer to the URB sound. To Me, that wold call for, a raw wood fretboard with flats or tape wounds and a sweet pickup close to the neck.

5. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    maybe some foam too.
    mmm...

6. Tapewounds and an Audere pre-amp rather than a Bart or Glock. Put that combination into a fretless Brice. Wish I had the chance to play it more, and the studio's been torn apart since we moved.

Z

7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Well I can't speak for the OP, but I'd be disappointed if I asked a question about what to do to my bass if I wanted to use roundwounds and all I got back was 'use flats'. Not everybody wants a fretless to thump, or sound like a URB, or have a natural woody sound.

I know I don't, I want mine to sing and growl, with loads of sustain, lots of crisp highs and crystalline harmonics that ping off the board. Sounds that I've never coaxed from any type of flatwound, inever mind tapewound (and as for wodges of foam, I won't even go there). In 38 years of playing bass I've had more than my share of flats on both fretted and fretless during that time, (including Ti's), but I still prefer rounds.

So, to the OP, you'll find some good guidance here if you want to epoxy your board http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231434

8. I read the how to defret guide, while most of it was used it seems like a lot of questions go un answered especially rounds, I've tried flats before while I wont go into heated discussion it doesnt fit my personality as a bassist they seemed dull and toneless to me. I have been using D'addrio strings now both nickelwounds and Pro Steel, I just dont want to scratch the wood to hell, while I can buff it so often it takes days to cure correctly 3-5 if you use mirrorcoat, and I have tried rounds on a fretless and it was beautiful :D