Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Rick Tone, Upright.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, May 22, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was watching COOL TV (on account of I'm cool) and there was a Clip of Dave Brubeck playing Take the A train and their bassist was playing a reall old school yellow discoloured Rick(not sure whether it was 4001 or 4003). It was fretless and itappeared to have tapewounds on it. It must have been the most accurate representation of an upright I've ever heard! I could have sworn it was a DB. Has anyone else witnessed this? am I crazy or something?

2. Yes, you are crazy for asking a global group of smart alecs if you are crazy. Of course, your crazy.

The bass in question was obviously a wishnevsky rickenbacker copy :D :D (I'm not asking the question -- I already know that state of MY mental health)

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    over my head... the question wAS sorta rhetorical... Its just I was impressed, and after all those I want a BG that sounds like a DB threads around here... this really blew my mind compared to all the Rob Allens etc. There was a Canadian fellow named Dave who waited a super long time for one, I dunno what happened to him... Anyhoo I was just wondering what any of you thought about fretless Ricks :p

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My only experience with a fretless Rick was some years ago at a store. They came with nylon tapewound strings standard back then, I dunno if that's still the case. But yeah, very upright-sounding and played like butter.

5. I use LaBella black nylon tapewounds on my fretless and they are nothing short of AWESOME!

(Who me??? Crazy???? :confused: ummmm... :eyebrow: ....who wants to know?)

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    No, your eyes weren't deceiving you. Dave Brubeck's son has played bass with him for some time now, and I've seen him use the fretless Rickenbacker before.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    +1

another bit of trivia is that Brubeck [senior] was in WW11 and had a nasty hand injury .

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I have some hXc GAS for a fretless Rick now :bag:

9. I dont participate much anymore. Mostly lurk from time to time. But im still around ;)

I do find my fretless Ric to sound pretty similar to an upright. Even with the rounds i have on it.

10. I think there is a fretless Ric in this pic somewhere ;) . Sorry to bump this from page 4. But its been a while since i posted.

The fretless Ric is also my fav bass and is the one i use the most. As stated earlier...its quite DB sounding. As far as i know all fretless Rics these days come with the roundwounds...(mine did). And if you order one..be prepared to wait about 11 months. (Ric's crazy arse waiting list is insane)
    There are some used ones however on a few big name bass selling places on the net.

Attached Files: