Fretless Ricks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacoproud, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Has anyone played on a rickenbacker 4001 fretless that is over 17 years old (ie pre 1985)? if so what do you think etc??
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I had the opportunity to play one last year. It was a 1975 4001 finished in Autumnglo with chrome hardware and white pickguard. It was in close to mint condition.
    One of the stores that I deal with had it on consignment for about 9 months. Everytime I went into the store I always played this bass for 10 - 15 mins.
    The neck was great, there were black dot position markers imbedded into the binding on the neck as well as in the rosewood fretboard. So there was no way you could get lost playing this bass. It was very comfortable to play and made playing it seem effortless. The sound was a very traditional for a fretless bass. There was no 4001 RIC growl, I would have been surprised if there had been.
    I was tempted a few times to buy it, and I know that I could have gotten if for a better price than they were asking for it. But i'm just not into fretless basses. But if I was, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4001FL.