1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless shopping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sidonbass, Nov 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM.

1. sidonbass

sidonbass Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    Because the average local stores or GC has no fretless BGs..when looking on line, what brands will give me that “mwah” that we all love?
    Budget under 1000
    4 string
    What to stay away from?
    Playing swing, jazz, Latin.
    Prefer made in USA or Japan.
    Thanks
    Also lookin to trade my 92 Precision Plus

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the Dean Club to the rescue! with that kind of budget you can nearly have your choice, or settle for a used bargain such as my $200 Dean 4 and be more than happy with $$$ to spare for a second or third buy. the quality is fine and the sounds are even better, for such low risk it's worth the effort to find one.
    upload_2018-11-8_13-17-50.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Within that budget I think I'd be looking at Sire, Ibanez, Yamaha. Lots of great choices. (OK, Sire's from Indonesia, but I think they're great deals.)

Nunovsky likes this.
  4. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Ibanez Portamento.

5. sidonbass

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    That Portamento looks interesting. There’s some good you tube videos.

Nunovsky and Element Zero like this.
  6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    If you've never played fretless, I'd stay away from basses in the $350.00+ range.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. sidonbass

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    Actually, I had a Rob Allen years ago. I’m wanting another option besides a piezo pick up. I may just look for a used fender jazz. No t really wanting the lines though.

8. sidonbass

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    The Fender Tony Franklin precision has my interest but the drop d tuner is pretty much useless for me.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I shop without frets all the time. Been doing it for .... like..... all my life.

wintremute, interp, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    You don't have to use it. I've never played anything other than 4's, but if I had access to a drop tuner, I might make use of it at some point.

sidonbass likes this.
  11. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Used Tony Franklin all the way.
    There is a reason it has been a complete mainstay in the fender line up all these years

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Even if you don't need the lower notes, it's nice to be able to slide octaves perfectly in tune in drop D on a fretless.

Inara and HD007 like this.
  13. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Fretless shopping is good - fretful shopping is a drag.

jamro217 and sidonbass like this.
  14. Squier “ Jaco jr”. Phenolic board and plays like greased lightning under $400

kcolyar likes this.
  15. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    If you're looking, an 80s Fender Jazz Bass Special is the original Tony Franklin. I've had one since 87 and it's got everything you want. And it's MIJ by Fujigen (FGN)
    The Franklin used may be easier to find, though. Both are PJ with P body, but Special has a jazz neck

16. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    33645_a4_fretless-850x850.

This would be right around the $1000 USD mark. Beautifully built in Canada and a perfect setup out of the box. Richlite fingerboard.

Godin A4 fretless -

From website:

"The A4 Ultra SA semi-acoustic bass features more sonic possibilities than ever before with the addition of a Low Profile Lace Sensor electric pickup and side-mounted volume and tone controls.

Other features include: Custom Godin electronics with individual saddle transducers in the bridge, Custom preamp voiced specifically for the A4 Ultra SA, as well as a ¼” output and 13-pin capabilities for computer and synth access. Incredible acoustic bass sounds are available through the ¼” output jack and controlling your tone is made easy with the Custom Godin Preamp. The two-chambered body design found in all of the A-Series instruments is also found in the A4 Ultra. This design resists feedback as well as the negative effects that loud stage levels can have on top vibration."

funkinbottom, MrLenny1, jmlee and 6 others like this.
  17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    My NS Design CR5s (both the fretless AND the fretted) are truly thunderous basses. I play the fretless 90% of the time and it is a joy to play. Ned Steinberger is truly a genius when it comes to engineering and ergonomics. There is not a single particle of that bass that wasn't taken into consideration to make it comfortable to play and easy to maintain and sound great.
    upload_2018-11-8_21-46-41.

wintremute and tfer like this.
  18. sidonbass

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    Now that’s a thought!

19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

20. sidonbass

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    And how in the world could I find one of those?
    I know, send me yours!

Old Blastard likes this.