Fretless showdown: Modulus Q5 v. Warwick Thumb 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Nov 14, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm looking to get some feedback on these if possible...

I'm planning on buying a higher mid-range fretless here in the next couple o' months.

I know a few artists that play Q5's, and I just love the sound. Added with the right chorus effect, it's the best bass tone I've personally ever heard.

However, I know Thumbs are known for their growl, and the Corvette fretless models I've been able to test out sound really good as well.. leading me to believe (I'd think) that a Thumb would sound twice as nice...

Any input from owners??

2. I had a fretless Thumb 5 bolt-on. I figured it would do the fretless 'mwah' great w/the rear-set pickups, but it really didn't. I love Warwick(as long as it's got a wenge neck), but I've also played a fretless Stingray 5, Spector Rebop 5 & Dean Edge 4(actually the BEST sounding/playing one of the bunch :eek: )that totally whooped the 'wicks arse. Mind you, my gripe w/the Warwick was strictly tone- or lack thereof- at the time.
    I haven't played more than a few moments w/a Modulus; what I've heard I like, but I'm sticking w/34" scale basses for now. Both these basses are spaced a bit tight for me, but to each his/her own. :D
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've got a Modulus fretless 6 that I'm in love with. It really has a singing quality, espcially with a chorus. The only other thing I would consider in that range for a fretless is an Fbass or Zon
  4. I've played both and they are very different instruments. If it were me, I'd take the Warwick just because I prefer the tone. You should definately look at Zon though!
  5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would vote for the modulus. I have played fretless wicks and modulus alike. Like the previous post, the mods have a real singing quality;they are awesome.
  6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    What models of Zon are we talking about? I'm not really familiar with their company or line of product, but have heard they do make some insanely killer fretless jobs.
  7. The Modulus Qunatum 5 is such a workhorse it's not even funny.

It was to the point that I would travel up and down the Northeast from a snowy Boston, to a mild New York, to a humid Florida and my Quantum never, ever, ever, ever (get the idea?) required any form of adjustment.

My only gripe, and the reason why I parted ways with the Modulus, was the Bartolini setup. I personally detest Bartolini electronics. The pickups, the preamp, hell, even the pickup casing. It just does not feel or sound "right" to my ears.

Really though, try both. Having played both the Quantum and Thumb however, I will tell you that the Modulus will not kill your shoulder as much as a Thumb after playing multiple hours.