Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Skills???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Wow, I'm sorry to all of you popping up another fretless thread, the actual second of mine within a three-day period, my humblest apologies...

...But this thread has its merritt. My question to you all of is, what special or aquired skills does it take to make a fretless sound good? I keep hearing that you need to be "advanced" or "really good" at bass to play a fretless. I played a fretless 'Vette 'Wick at Guitar Center two days ago, played the same way I do a fretted bass, and it sounded great through the Backline 600 head and Behringer Bugera coned 15" cab I plugged into. (thinking of making that my future rig. any opinons? any?)

Anxiously Awaiting Feedback, and Anxiously Awaiting a Fretless Bass,
    ~Ryan

PS, any of you know of any fretless Spectors???

2. i had a similar experience...i was more comfortable on a fretless corvette than any other bass i've played, and i'm not what i'd call "advanced" at bass (i've been playing a little under two years). it's really easy to pick up that bass and not want to ever put it down...man, that's seriously my dream bass.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The biggest requirement is good ears. It is not that difficult to play a fretless, but it is difficult to play one in tune.

You might sound good at Guitar Center by yourself, but the true test is playing along with a CD, a band, or plugged into a tuner. You will find out right away that your intonation isn't as good as it sounds when you are playing alone.

Playing fretless in tune also requires a large commitment of your time. It takes a lot of practice to play in tune.

I am moving this to Technique.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Spector makes fretlesses. The cheapest ones are the Spectorcore series, which start in the $500 range I belive. Going up from there all Spectors in the Euro and USA lines can be ordered without frets.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    a) Intonation

b) Phrasing

You don't need to be "advanced" to play fretless well. However, you do need to be a good enough musician to care about things like whether you're in tune (with yourself and with other musicians) and to take advantage of the unique phrasing options fretless offers, e.g. fretless vibrato, glissandi.

Intonation on the fretless benefits greatly from "proper" left-hand technique; understand that "proper" is somewhat subjective on the bass guitar.

6. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    others have said it well, Intonation is key and technique is key to intonation
    But he11, you can do it. If you picked up a fretless and it felt right, go for it.

fretlesskills

Could be a great sig.

John

7. so by intonation, you all just mean the way the bass is setup? like truss rod, action, string heighth, etc, etc??? And by playing in tune, you just mean playing the correct frets? Or, actually keeping the strings in tune?

Thanks for all of your input, definately helping me decide,
    Just a tad mixed up, not even enough to be considered confused,
    ~Ryan

8. Getao

Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    intonation essentially is the same as playing in tune.

Basically it means that every note is right on the pitch. AKA if you took a tuner to that note when you played it, it would line up exactly correctly on that tuner.