1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fretless slap-plates?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PMC89, May 9, 2006.

1. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    i hear that by installing a metal plate for the strings to hit against, you can effectively slap with a fretless.

where can these be purchased?/any examples?

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Why do you need a metal plate? Michael Manring slaps his fretless basses all the time... no problem. It sounds different than a fretted for sure, but isn't that the beauty of versatility?

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    you dont need to modify your fretless to slap it. just slap it!

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I would imagine if there was such plates that the sound would be loud, ringing and tinny. Just a guess becuase I've never seen such thing.

Also, why not slap on a fretless with a really hard fretboard like diamond wood or one with that has been coated in epoxy?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They do exist, but i agree with the notion that its better to slap on a fretless with a hard fingerboard. I have an ebonol fingerboard on my fretless and i enjoy slapping it. Diamondwood is the best, IMO.

6. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I think that any plates of this sort are custom made.

I've never used one, but the idea would be to get that "metal-on-metal" like a fretted bass.

Another advantage would be to protect the wood at the end of your fingerboard, which will get pretty gouged up if you slap a fretless, especially if it's an unfinished board.

7. flange

flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
    How about having a couple of frets installed at the end of the
    board ? Saw this on a bass one time and it seemed to work quite well.

8. Wouldn't that require you to raise your action to "mwah"-eliminating high levels, though?

9. I slap on my epoxied fretless. It's awesome.

10. MagnaKen

MagnaKen

Jan 17, 2006
    Redland, Oregon
    This is from an ad on Craigslist in Portland Oregon. I'm not involved in the sale at all, but I saw this and thought of this thread. I apologize if it doesn't meet the commerce code of talkbass.

"An awesome bass I had built for me by Portland bass luthier David Kind. David just got his second rave review in Bass Player magazine and his business has been booming. When he builds a guitar for you he sits down and really gets into the details with you. We modeled the neck after my Ibanez (item #2 above) and used exotic tone-woods. The neck is a nine-piece laminate with through-body construction of Maple and Purple Heart. All fret positions are marked with side dots so there are no fret lines/markers on the fingerboard. The fingerboard is made of Peroba Rosa. The body top is Canary Wood and the back is Alder.

Lane Poor pickups (sadly, no longer available, which makes this bass all the more valuable) and Bartolini active electronics (blend, volume, bass cut/boost, treb cut/boost, mid frequency sweep with cut/boost) bring a sweet, natural sound out of this guitar. Includes built-in electronic tuner. A unique feature: I had David set a fat fret into the fingerboard up toward the pickups. This allowed me to thump it from time to time and get that classic metallic fret buzz impact sound, but from a fretless. This is a SWEET and beautiful guitar and will be a collector's item for sure one day.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Craiglist guy misspelled it- it's David King.

I've seen a Benavente or two with a slap plate on it. It makes sense to me- if you have a non-coated fretless board that's prone to wear, and you prefer a more fretted slap sound, I imagine it would work pretty well.