1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless slap!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well this is my first audio posting on TB so please go easy on me! All 3 of these clips are variations of the same riff I came up with the other day, and I did them all pretty much on the spot. Please excuse the rubbishness of the clips, I've only been playing about 10 months and I've only been playing fretless for a couple of months.

Bass: Defretted Westfield SB427
    Strings: Flatwound Chromes
    Recording method: Straight in to line in on PC
    Effects: EQ, compression and light chorus.
    Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3

2. the first one kind of sounds a little claypool-esque

3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ah yeah, I can see where you're coming from!
    Thanks for the comment :smug:

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Sounds more like a Flea-style slap line on fretless.

Advice on achieving a more unique, in your face fretless slap tone (or Claypool-like) would be to bump some not so normal frequencies (maybe some high-mids) and treble. Make sure the pickups are wide open.

That way it really comes out at you. Ever notice how fretted Claypool's tone is out of his fretless basses?

-Eric.

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks! Never thought about boosting the high-mids before, I'll give it a shot!

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    No problem. In fact, when I'm trying to get a more Flea-like, Stingray type of tone. I usually bump the High Mids on my amp and it gets that bit of bite that he usually has.

-Eric.