Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless slap!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well this is my first audio posting on TB so please go easy on me! All 3 of these clips are variations of the same riff I came up with the other day, and I did them all pretty much on the spot. Please excuse the rubbishness of the clips, I've only been playing about 10 months and I've only been playing fretless for a couple of months.

Bass: Defretted Westfield SB427
    Strings: Flatwound Chromes
    Recording method: Straight in to line in on PC
    Effects: EQ, compression and light chorus.
    Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3

2. the first one kind of sounds a little claypool-esque

3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ah yeah, I can see where you're coming from!
    Thanks for the comment :smug:

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Sounds more like a Flea-style slap line on fretless.

Advice on achieving a more unique, in your face fretless slap tone (or Claypool-like) would be to bump some not so normal frequencies (maybe some high-mids) and treble. Make sure the pickups are wide open.

That way it really comes out at you. Ever notice how fretted Claypool's tone is out of his fretless basses?

-Eric.

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks! Never thought about boosting the high-mids before, I'll give it a shot!

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    No problem. In fact, when I'm trying to get a more Flea-like, Stingray type of tone. I usually bump the High Mids on my amp and it gets that bit of bite that he usually has.

-Eric.