fretless songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basspunk666, Sep 22, 2003.

1. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    hey all i have only been playing bass for a few months but the other day i defretted my bass for a new sound. your probly all thinking WHAT THE HELL UR CRAZY DUDE ITS SO MUCH HARDER TO PLAY or sumthing like that but i did it and i like the sound to. but i was just wondering if anyone new some good EASY songs that would sound good on a fretless. that would be great. thanx
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really GI type stuff, how about Misc.?

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. You can play any song you know on a fretless, but for a good started, try the Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Warm Tape". The verse riff has some slides in it that sound like butter on a fretless.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I agree that you should relearn everything you already know on your fretless, but as for simple songs that emphasize the fretless sound, you could try the Beatles' "Come Together" or Velvet Underground's "Wildside."
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sounds like you're Jaco reborn.

6. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    yeh ill do that. thanx guys. i hope so tsal
  7. also any slower songs are good ways to get started on fretless :)
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ah, now here's a topic I can sink my teeth into!

(...what's up with them annoying metal bars anyhow???? ;) )

I suggest looking for anything with Pino Pallidino on it, particularly the stuff he did with Paul Young in the 80's. Pino is wonderful to listen to for fretless inspiration: A very unique approach that tips it's hat to Jaco, but isn't a slavish regurgitation of it.

Of course, there is also Jaco. ;)

Most importantly though, you should spend as much time just PLAYING the fretless. Scales, arpeggios, anything and everything. Build as much muscle memory as possible, work on your ability to hear when you're in tune and when you're not - and your ability to adjust to BE in tune when you're not. Don't limit yourself to playing "fretless songs", play everything on it.
  9. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Hey you from Pink Floyd has a really nice fretless intro and is easy to play

A lot of stuff from Peter Gabriel is played on fretless, like Sledgehammer or Family Snapshot.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have alot of fun with "Alive" from Pearl Jam. All kinds of slides in that song.

Bonus points for being such an easy song anyway, but you can seriously improvise some cool stuff during that song.

11. I always liked, "The Lady in Red."

O.K.. so it's corny! :D

It's nice, slow, and is more stylish than difficult. Check it out.

Click on "Into the Light."

Nice fretless with a flanger.

12. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    another jaco song that isnt tooo hard is his version of blackbird.