Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by videoguy17, Jan 15, 2005.

1. videoguy17

videoguy17

Jan 15, 2005
    Is it a bad idea to de-fret a Squier Affinity P-Bass? I don't have much money so I can't just go and buy a new one (however, I wish I could). How could I find out how the frets are placed within the neck? Any help is appreciated.

2. You can de-fret it quite easily if you do it carefully, be patient and take your time, they will lift out, but is it your only bass? Are you sure you want to do it? A friend of mine did it to one of his peaveys because he really wanted a fretless but couldn't afford to buy one. After a few days, the novelty wore off, and he wished he'd left the frets in. In the end he just got rid of it.

If you're sure it's what you want, why not get a price from a local tech for doing it for you, also a good tech would be able to fill the fret gaps too, doing that properly is difficult.

3. You could always rent a fretless bass for a few days to see if you like it.

4. I like mine. Taking out the frets helped me avoid a lot of fretbuzz and toned down the harshness of the pickup. It's not an amazing bass but it's definitely very playable, and through a good amp it sounds good. It's not hard to pull out the frets, since there are a lot of guides out there to help you with it.