Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Standard Jazz or Geddy Lee Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm due to pick up a Geddy Lee Jazz by next month, however, it occured to me that a fretless would be nice to go along with my Stingray 5. I have good intonation and good tone on fretless even though I haven't one in several years. The Geddy would be great for getting a great Jazz sound and for really frisky open E slapping. The situation is that I can get a Standard Fretless Jazz for about $300 less than the Geddy Lee and I would enjoy getting the fretless sound. The problem is that the MIM is not nearly as consistent as the Geddy Lee Jazz. I'm open to advice.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I would get the MIM, set it up myself using the countless online DIY resources and get $300 worth of gear. The only real difference between the Geddy and a Standard Jazz is the bridge. That's only $60 bucks. Even if I didn't like the pups I can buy a set for $100 and change and still come in waaaay below budget.

I can also take a marker pen and "inlay" the neck myself if that look strikes myfancy. The Geddy's inlays are painted on so I'll be close :)

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You got some real good points there. I could come in way under budget with the MIM fretless. I wish I could have three or four basses, but that is out of the question at this time. It's either a fretted and fretless or my main fretted (SR5) and a backup (Geddy).

4. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I recently picked up two Standard Jazzes, a fretted (the green one) and fretless (the brown sunburst). For what some of the MIA are going for, I got two for the same price! The it took me a bit to find a good fretted one, but the first fretless I picked up was a killer. I had to adjust the necks a bit and lower the action to my tastes, but once I did, wow these are good basses. I love both these basses, in fact I like the necks of these better then the MIA models I tired. As far as upgrades, I put a BadAss II on the fretted. Since I play slap on that one it gives it a bit more punch. As far as the fretless, I did not change a thing. I don't think a bridge change on the fretless would make much of a difference, plus I play finger style so the punch I need really comes from my fingers. Oh yea, I did put on White Pearliod pickguards on both just to snazz them up a bit! So far I have no plans to change the pickups. Both of these sound great through my SWR system.

[​IMG]

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That fretless is really making more sense to me but that Geddy Lee sure is pretty!

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    If you play a few and are fortunate enough to find a really good one the MIM Fenders can be excellent. I got lucky with one (fretted) that knocked the socks off the other Js I tried at the time.

But the Geddy is great, I'm still gassing for one big time. Are you SURE you can't afford both? Sorry, shouldn't tempt... :D

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I could swing both if I'm patient, but I don't think my wife would understand. :crying:

If I'm going to risk a fight, it will be over a nice Bongo or Sadowsky Metro. :D

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm sticking with the Geddy Lee. I checked out the fretless again and I decided that I'll stick with frets for now. I compared the Geddy Lee with a fretted Fender Jazz Standard
    and honestly, the Standard was awfully close to the Geddy Lee in terms of sound and playability. The Geddy is just a touch brighter and it has a faster neck. Other than that, they were even IMO.

The Geddy Lee Jazz sounds better and plays better, but not by very much. Frankly, if it didn't look so good, I would get the Standard and be done with it! The bright side is that I honestly think that anyone who wants a Fender Standard series bass should just take time and check out some basses, the good ones are very good and can hang with basses that cost a whole more than they do.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Find yourself a used Geddy, and wait for a good lookin used Standard Fretless. You can get both for just over the price of a new Geddy.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll go used whenever I pick up a fretless, hopefully an unmarked five. I know this sounds crazy, but I think those lines throw me off. I spend toomuch time looking for them while I just play on an unmarked fretless.

I'm already committed to the Geddy, so I'm getting that one new.