1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless starter bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass In Ya Face, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Can anyone suggest a fretless starter bass under £200 ($400)

I am currently learning the fretted version but love the sound that people such as Mick Karn and Pino Palladino get from the fretless and would love a second bass to play around with.

As i am still learning i would prefer suggestions that have the fret markings inlayed on the neck if poss.

thanks

2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
  3. thanks that's just the sort of thing i'm looking for, any more suggestions would be welcome !

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
  5. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    squire or fender jazz

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

SX. 'Nuff said.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If Rondo ships/sells to overseas-i agree.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Check out the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless. I bought one (it was my second fretless) becuase I was in desperate need of another fretless, having sold my first one. It just blew me away, and so it gets my full backing!

If you lived in the Newcastle area you would have been welcome to come and take mine for a spin!

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Rondo says it ships to Europe "on occasion," whatever that means.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  11. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I got one when Musician's Friend cleared 'em out (almost 2 years ago). Not the be-all, end-all by a long shot but the best $150 I ever spent.

12. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Thomann ship internationally, you just might have to pay customs duty on top of the delivery charge
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/helpdesk_shipping.html?country=usa
    It could end up being more than 500 dollars, compared to fish slapper paying $150 :D

or you could buy this and defret it
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297651

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I'm thrilled with the Squier fretless. It's worth double the price. I paid $270 US and added a $125 Audere pre. It'll serve me well...until I can afford to have a Sadowsky fretless that is. :D

To hear the Squier (the effect is an EBS chorus) click on the Matt Zeiner myspace link in my signature, and play the track "Sunshine".

14. how did the audere change the sound?