1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless Stingray owners -Your opinions, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor J, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I have the opportunity to pick up a two-band fretless Stingray, mid-90's, I'm just wondering what peoples opinions of them are? My fretless experience is largely limited to Jazz types, though I do like the sound and feel of the classic single humbucker fretted Stingray. How well does it translate to the fretless setup?

Thanks.

2. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Mornin,

I'm not an owner - but what you desrcibe is the essence of the classical Pino Palladino sound:

I doubt that a 90's Stingray is that far from an 80s one ...
    Cheers,

Tom

3. Not an owner but I tried one some time ago and it absolutely killed!

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Thanks Tom. It's probably fair to say the difference between Pino and I would be greater than that of 80's and 90's Stingrays :)

5. I have a 93 3 band fretless. It's a great fretless and gets the Pino sound exactly. A 2 band will be even closer. If it's an early 90s bass you may find it will have a highly figured maple neck and also the on board mutes (I've found these useful for rockabilly).

Best of luck with the bass. I've never regretted buying mine although it took a while to learn to play it properly in tune!!

6. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have what I believe is a '98 SR5 fretless without the piezo's and with the 3 band EQ.
    It is a great bass.
    Very full and rich sounding.
    When I play it, which is not all that much, I don't play a lot of notes
    But it works for my needs
    Good Luck!

7. Saw this thread, and had to comment.

I have a brand new fretless stingray I bought mid last year and it is THE fretless for me. I had actually decided at the time that I'd be buying no more basses and just started moving away from fretless because what I had owned so far just wasn't working for me.

I came across the 'Ray hanging up in my local store and sat down with it for a good 30 minutes.... aaaand then avoided the store for four weeks.

It was still there when I eventually went back for strings, sat down with it briefly again and shelled out the money there and then. They were physically taken aback because I had only recently purchased a MIA P from them... but this bass was so right for me I didn't want to let it go.

I have never had the opportunity to play a two band 'Ray so I couldn't comment on its sound specifically, but the modern 3 band, single pickup one I have does everything from growl to woody warmth. This bass came right to the front line and has played almost every gig since I bought it. I play it with nickel rounds as that's the sound I like - my fretless upbringing was via Jeff Ament...

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mine's an '88 two-band. Love it. Great neck and great tone.
    Buy it; you won't regret having a fretless Ray!

9. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    Pino would approve!

10. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Well then, that seems pretty unanimous :D

Thanks guys.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had an early 90s 2 band. It was good, but I kind of wish it was a three band. Overall, it was a fun bass. I didnt end up keeping it. I mostly like fretless basses to have an ebony or ebonal fingerboard, and that one was pau ferro.

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is only my experience and my ears, but I prefer where the treble control sits on a two-band. On a three-band it's a bit too sizzly for me.

With either preamp, they're great basses.

Mine has the pau ferro board (and my '87 Sabre is rosewood). I tend to prefer ebony FL boards, too, but I don't have any complaints about these.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

I owned a fairly recent 2 band and it was a great bass. FB was pau ferro, I believe.

I really prefer ebony, ebonol or a coated board though as I play a fretless like a fretted (I.e. It sounds like a fretted).

Depends on the tone you are looking for. A fretless Stingray to me is epitomized in Paul Young's Every Time You go Away. If you like Pino's overall tone, you will very likely love a fretless Stingray.

A fretless Stingray is about as far as you can get from a Pedulla Buzz tonewise IMO as an example.

14. A nice slo fretless would be my choice..

15. If you're interested, Marta Altesa does a nice YT cover of the Paul Young song with a fretless Ray.

16. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    ??? Closer than exactly??? I'm spending too much time here. :rollno:

17. Well the sound is comparable - the playing not............... I was playing the fretless this morning and just acoustically it sounds great. If you haven't tried a fretless Stingray then you should do so - amongst the best fretless available.