Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Jan 10, 2002.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    the musicman stingray always rates highly in posts and forums and i am personaly a very big fan of the bass (dont own one yet though) but i was wondering how the frettless stingray rated against other fretless basses? is it simple another feature of the stingray or is it a good fretless in it's own right? what are the opinions?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have never actually played a Stingray fretless but before you start eye rolling me...heres some stuff

1 You get a bump
    2 Wil Davies has a good fretless collection including a Stingray
    3 I own a fretted Stingray 5 (with Sterling electrics BTW) and when I visited Basscentral in 2000 I was lucky enough to play Beaver Feltons natural Sterling fretless. What a bass! I own a fretless (Warwick)and expected the EBMM ones to be lacking (one pickup etc) but it really did sing.

I suggest that you try a Stingray and Sterling. Also if he does not appear try PMing Wil

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I play fretless Stingrays, a piezo 4 and a fiver, and they are my most played basses. All my basses are fretless and that includes a 55-94 Classic, L2000, 79 P and 75 RI jazz. The Stingrays have pau fero boards, which suit my tone needs perfectly. I use flatwounds with very low action and they ring like bells, with all the sustain and mwah I could ask for. I'm sure that string choice is the main factor if you are trying to decide on a sound, as the electronics are going to be the same with fretted vs fretless. It is also a subjective thing, which means that you should play them all and make your own decision. Good luck.
    Doc

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Snyderz

I will put you on my mental list of fretless experts

BTW how do you rate the Lakland against the others?

5. I'm pretty sure Pino Palldino's bass work with Don Henley and Paul Young, back in the 80s, was mostly done on a fretless stingray. Check out Don Henley's Boys of Summer.

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi CS,
    Good question about the Lakland. I haven't had it long, so I need to put some more time on it to give you an educated answer. My first impressions though, are that it is a great bass. It is a string through, but I top load it, so I can make some comparisons. It is my only 35" scale though, so that will skew my comparisons a bit, plus the body is alder. The tone on the Lakland is a little richer than the Stingray because of the j/MM Barts. The B string may be a hair better, but to be honest, I am extremely happy with the B on my Stingray five. There is slightly more sustain on the Lakland. There is a little more tone versatility on the 55-94, as there are not only 2 pups, but there is a switch on the Lakland for the MM pup similar to the switch on the Stingray to go parallel/series. The balance on the Lakland is perfect. It is much lighter than the Stingray, with no dive at all, so I can play it with no fatigue. Fit and finish is perfect on both basses, so they are both winners in that department. The main reason I am playing the Stingray over the Lakland is string spacing. The Lakland is 3/4" at the bridge, and the MM is 11/16". I prefer the narrower, as I have some mild carpal tunnel, and the Lakland is creating some hand cramp. I hope that I can get used to it in time. I know I only compared to the MM, but my other basses are 4 string.
    Doc

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Thanks for the info

8. I have a fretless Stingray 5 with a gigantic set of Rotosound tapewounds on it.

I love it.. it's such a huge sounding instrument and the neck is great. I feel that I can get a wide variety of tones just by altering my playing style.