Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless String Idea

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by camerondye, Jan 18, 2001.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Has anybody tried the Elixer Bass strings on a fretless? In theory they wouldn't eat your neck up as much and they would last longer because there are no frets to chew on the plastic shielding on the string. I am getting a fretless February and was wondering if somebody tried this.

Cam

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

michaeln has posted on this before in the strings forum.

He has a Lakland 55-94 fretless with Elixir strings, and in his opinion they do not wear the fingerboard as quickly as regular nickelwounds.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Nylon Tapewounds might be a little cheaper than Elixirs.

What kinda' bass is the new one?

FYI ~ Fender, GHS, Labella, and Rotosound make 4-strings sets.
    Rotosound also makes a 5-string tapewound set.
    LaBella makes a 5 and a 6-string set.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nylon tapewounds are cheaper, but are darker sounding.

And FYI, notduane, the Carvin tapewounds are just repackaged LaBellas, at a lot cheaper price! Try 'em and see!

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I am getting a 5 string Musicman Stingray Fretless. I ordered it 3 months ago and it will be in on February 23, 2001 and I am quite anxious to get it. I already have a 4 string fretted and love it, and tried a fretless out in Lawrence, Kansas and it sounded great so I ordered myself one when I could afford it. I still not sure I can but that not what's important. BTW, It is a Purple w/ a pearl pickguard, and a pao ferro fretboard and the bird's eye maple back of neck. It will look original at least.
    cam