Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Style Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merdenoms2590, Mar 6, 2006.

1. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    I have a old Squier P Bass, how hard would it be to make it fretless? What would be the risks? Other Comments?

Thanks

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think that you might get more responses in the setup/repair forum. They even have a sticky on the issue.

3. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    ok thanks, i'll go look around there.

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I recently tried to do a defret job on my squier as well (it was a p/j). Everything went extremely smoothly until I had this strange idea that I could epoxy the neck perfectly the first time without even practicing. So I ended up screwing up the neck and throwing it away (bad choice I know). However, I bought a SX fretless neck (M/M) and it's great. After sanding it down it's extremely smooth and will be getting a tung oil finish in the near future. But yes, if you feel like you want to defret the neck, do it, but I think buying one is easier, and that way you can swap out necks if you don't like the fretless after a while.

Greg

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I have a fretless squier P-bass... just buy a fretless neck for it :) Sounds great

6. I defretted mine a few years ago. I used flats at first, so I didn't even bother to fill in the slots where the frets had been. Later, I switched to round wound strings, filled in the slots with wood putty, and did some aggressive sanding. It sounds great. :) Epoxy probably isn't necessary.