Fretless Style Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merdenoms2590, Mar 6, 2006.

1. merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    I have a old Squier P Bass, how hard would it be to make it fretless? What would be the risks? Other Comments?

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think that you might get more responses in the setup/repair forum. They even have a sticky on the issue.
  3. merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    ok thanks, i'll go look around there.
  4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I recently tried to do a defret job on my squier as well (it was a p/j). Everything went extremely smoothly until I had this strange idea that I could epoxy the neck perfectly the first time without even practicing. So I ended up screwing up the neck and throwing it away (bad choice I know). However, I bought a SX fretless neck (M/M) and it's great. After sanding it down it's extremely smooth and will be getting a tung oil finish in the near future. But yes, if you feel like you want to defret the neck, do it, but I think buying one is easier, and that way you can swap out necks if you don't like the fretless after a while.

5. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I have a fretless squier P-bass... just buy a fretless neck for it :) Sounds great
  6. I defretted mine a few years ago. I used flats at first, so I didn't even bother to fill in the slots where the frets had been. Later, I switched to round wound strings, filled in the slots with wood putty, and did some aggressive sanding. It sounds great. :) Epoxy probably isn't necessary.