1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless surprise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrCincinnati, Aug 11, 2012.

1. MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Mar 6, 2011
    yeah so picked up a Ibanez fretless 5 - nothing fancy...first fretless tho...

wow - I kinda don't want to play fretted anymore...

didn't see that coming.

2. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    planning on getting a fretless one day, most likely a Squier.

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I prefer fretless myself ;)

4. MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Mar 6, 2011
    funny you say that..

I got this one earlier today @ GC Cincinnati (30min from you) - completely unexpected purchase... was looking for the new GK 112 ii and nada - saw a used fretless squier w/flats on the wall - picked it up and noodled around on it. I couldn't believe my ears/fingertips. I think it was $199

Looked around and saw the ibanez in a 4, just so happened they had a 5 new in box in the back and not on the floor for $50 more..sold.

I literally can't put this thing down for more than a few minutes before I'm itching to play it again. Probably wanting some barts for it, though.

'54 Bassman - any issues you've come across using a fretless where you had previously only used fretted?

5. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    I purchased a squier fretless from a TBer two years ago and now own five fretless and searching for several more. The best way to define my experience was like going from a vehicle with manual steering to power steering. The neck was much easier to maneuver. The down side is your choices are limited. There are so many basses I like to get my hands on but the factories didn’t have a fretless option. I find the options increase with custom shops but I’m not going spend that kind of money until I’m clear on what I want.
    I picked this Peavey Dynabass for $350.00 with original case. When the Luthier cleaned it up he told me he could not make this bass for me for less that $2000.00

Attached Files:

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Fretless is a beautiful challenge. I played fretted for 30 years before switching. I only play fretted on request. There are so many more musical options available with fretless.

7. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I too bought my 1st fretless on a whim. I was in a pawn shop in Austin, Tx. & came across a 1978 Fender P with a factory fretless neck. It was covered in what looked like stove black paint that you could rub off with your finger. Otherwise it was all original. The guy said no one wanted it because "It ain't even got frets, son." I bought it for $180 & it was my main bass for 3 years.

8. MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Mar 6, 2011
    yeah that puts it into words man - I played service earlier with my 2012 am deluxe jazz...neck binding inlays blah blah..

and then came home and tucked it away so I could play on this fretless ibby that wasn't even 1/3rd the price lol

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Welcome to the dark side... :D

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Well said.