1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless SX, recommended mods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primus150, Nov 2, 2010.

1. primus150

primus150

Mar 29, 2009
    So I bought a short scale, fretless SX jazz bass a few months ago, and I'm debating throwing a few modifications in it. Anyone have anything that worked really well and isn't horribly expensive? Pickups, pots, strings (not really a mod...), bridge... whatever made an SX sound nice.

2. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Act ually, they sound pretty good once they are set up. I shield and put a series/parallel mod on all of mine. And I like LaBelle deep talkin flats, but use whatever strings float your boat.

3. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    On my SX fretless I have a set of TI flats... It's kind of funny to have a set of strings worth almost as much as the bass it's on... but it sounds great.

4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    On my SX basses, I always changed the strings, pickup(s), and bridge.

I got the best recorded sound of my life with my SX (fretted) P bass with TI flats, a Fender 57RI pickup, and a Fender vintage-style bridge.

5. None until you realize what it lacks.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If it didn't sound nice then why didn't you return it?

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Change the pots and install some shielding...then give it a good setup. Then play it. Nothing else should be needed for it to be fully giggable unless you find a real reason to change the pickups. The stock ones sound really good with some 250k CTS pots and orange drop cap.