Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i gotta brand spankin new fretless today coz they cudnt get me a 5r till june :(. and i just wondered if there is any kool things u can do on them? i heard u cud slide harmonics but i dunno how true that is or how to do it.
    any help?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you want to slide harmonics on a fretless (which is one of the coolest things about them), you first pluck the string to play the harmonic, then, press down on the fretboard with your fretting finger and slide it up. It may take some practice, but it's sounds good once you get it.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx, i'll try that :d anything else i shud know?

4. Congrats! Too bad you couldn't get that 5 right away, but you are on the way...

Sliding harmonics are cool, you also want to work an a good vibrato (I'll let someone else try to explain it cyberly). Remember, your finger now controls your tone and intonation. After palying around a bit and trying new things, start hitting your scales! Staying in tune is going to be a bit more of a challenge now without those frets to help and you will need to develop your ears to hear when you roll flat or sharp.

But welcome to the wonderful world of fretless.
    What axe did you get?

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    But, OTOH, once your ear and fingers are trained, you tune much more accurate than those metal bars will ever allow!!!:)

(Frets are never exactly in the right place - your fingers can be)

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i still cant slide harmonics :s

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Practice. I still can't tap.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i think i might have done it! does it sound like there is a not goin up and down at the same time? if it does then i can do it! if not then i can do something else!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You're hearing the two note ringing out, one from the length of string between your fretting finger and the nut, the other between your fretting finger and the bridge. That's probably not what you're after.

Normally, when the harmonic sounds, it doesn't require you to fret the note for it to continue. You should be able to pluck the harmonic, remove your fretting hand and still hear the note ring. The trick here for sliding is to get the harmonic to ring while you still partially fret the note, not pressing the string against the fretboard.

If you get this down, sliding is relatively easy, just press the string down after you hear the harmonic and slide your fretting finger up or down the neck.

There are other ways to do that, like fretting a note and with your plucking hand pluck with one finger while choking or muting with another, then sliding the fretted note. This is a way to slide a false (not natural) harmonic of any note. It's harder to explain, too ;)

Hope that doesn't confuse the heck out of you.

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    eerm, so i think i get the first bit, so u do a harmonic on say the twelth fret (which i can do). then u HALF push down the string and slide?

but u lost me completely on the second bit :oops: all gone in one ear and out the other

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No, you push ALL the way down, and THEN slide. Just play the harmonic, press straight down, then slide up and down the neck.

12. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    doesnt that deden the harmonic?

but wot should it sound like so i now when ive done it?