fretless technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jun 27, 2005.

1. heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi, i jsut got myself a "el cheapo" fretless, willing to learn how to play it. i have been playing fretted for a while and my technique its not too bad, but i cant afford a techer right know and i wanted to knoe if theres anything concerning the technique that i should know about a fretless, so i dont learn it the wrong way (and therefore i dont have to unlearn it later and learn the proper one)... so thats the deal, anything to care about?
  2. Well, congrats on the fretless.

Just remember to take the transition slow. Obviously, you need to use your ears more. When I started, I found it helpful to play certain exercises with my eyes closed. I would play an open string - let it ring - and then match the octave on another string. You'll hear immediately if the note is off, and you'll have to adjust. Do this for chord tones such as 3rd's and 5th's as well.

It's always tempting to slide all over the place when you go fretless, but remember to establish the note first and foremost. If you're going to add vibrato to a note, do it after you've nailed the correct pitch.

Play songs that you're used to playing on a fretted bass, and just enjoy the tone that the fretless produces. You'll soon discover all the little freedom's that your new instument provides.
  3. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    As a fretless player for al ong long time I'd say first and foremost get used to listening to every note you play. Playing with your eyes closed and in the dark are some options. Also play along with records to get used to listening to it in context.

Also as Super_red said...get used to nailing the notes before using the cool fretless effects...the best thing to do is to try and play it so that no one knows you're playing a fretless until you want them too.
  4. That's exactly what I meant!
  5. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Oh man, well put DrewBud. I hope you don't mind me using it in my signature.

Greetz, steven
  6. I thought it would be strange too, but I got used to it real easy... actually, I had the opposite problem...
    I was used to fretting my notes kindof in the middle of the frets (on fretted), now, Im used to fretting right on the fret, and sometimes, I'll get fretbuzz playing fretted now, as my muscle memory is forcing my fingers right to the fret, and if I dont fret a Little before, Bzzzzzzzzzzz...