Fretless Thumb Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SacOnBass, Jan 17, 2005.

1. I currently have a Warwick Thumb 5string and am in love with it.

I've been looking into getting a fretless and saw that their is a fretless version of the Thumb. Has anyone had any experience with this bass? There is no information on the Warwick website about the bass....Any reviews or opinions you guys have on the bass would be great.

Thanks guys :bassist:
  2. bassphisher

Jan 16, 2005
    ns, canada
    I have no personal experience with fretless thumb basses---or for that matter, any Warwicks beyond those that I've muddled about with in music stores---but a few months ago I caught a gig by an eight-piece funk unit, and the bass player was playing one. Out front, it sounded incredible. Sat in the mix just as it should, somwhere between the kick and the horns. Had some growl, had some "mwah." Gold.

3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a thumb 4 NT fretted and woudl do anything for a fretless twin, but I have to wait until I get "A" nother bass first ;)
  4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Absolutly one of the finest fretless basses I've ever owned or played.
    I had mine for years and thought I would go to the grave with it until I played an F Bass BNF5.
    Plus after 2 problems involving neck thru basses that almost made me have exotic firewood, I went to bolt-on necks.

All the mwah and growl that you could ever want.
    The wenge neck ones do have more growl and mwah than the newer ovangkol ones. The ovangkol is still sweet, but the much stiffer wenge and ebony fingerboard is one wicked combo.

Super Jaco to monster Pino. Pan to the front pick-up, roll off the treble, play up by the neck and it's big and fat as hell.

I had Thumb fretless 5 & 6 neck-thrus and also a bolt-on 6 fretless (wenge neck) and they killed.
    Even my wife would mention how good they sounded and told me I was nuts for selling my last one.

Besides the above mentioned issues, the F Bass felt more comfortable to me and it has all the fine attributes of the Thumb fretless and a few more ;)
    I also liked the string spacing on the F Bass as well. Going from my Sadowsky to the Warwick took a few to get used to, but the difference in the F Bass to the Sadowsky is minimal for me.

But the bottom line is they are sweet as hell sounding and I would not hesitate to own another if the spacing was a tad wider. (just my preference these days)
  5. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    They are awesome. I have a NT Thumb Five fretted and fretless. The fretless has unbelievable tone and sustain. I will also vouch for the ebony neck. Mine is a 2001 model and I ordered it with an ebony (unlined) FB as well as the brass nut-I highly recommend both if you are ordering one. If you are looking used, try to find the ebony and you can always order the brass nut from Warwick.

Good luck.