Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Tips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    After yrs of putting it off I've decided to plunge into the world of fretless. I'm wondering for those of you who play them regularly or exclusively what type of strings you use. I know you can use anything for anything but was wondering if there were any generally recommended or preferred.

Any general tips on set up, getting the most Mwah, etc. First, of course, I have to learn to play the damn thing.

Thx,

Mike

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If there was one, Treena would be the winner of the "most unique smileys" award.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    She kinda did, shes "Queen of smilies" (check her title)

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thomastic-Infled jazz flats are very popular. I've used them on my fretless for years. However, if you're looking for more of a modern, mwah sound, you'll probably want to go with a set of round wounds. Flats are good for a deep, phat, rich, woody tone, but you may need the added treble and aggressive midrange that a roundwound could provide. Of course, there are compromises inbetween...halfwounds, groundwounds, compression wounds, etc. Hope that helps.

6. Mike, what kind of fretlees do you have? Dotted neck? Lined neck?

Just curious 'cause this also plays into "how you play"!

BTW, I was given the "Queen Of Smilies Award" by TB!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    It will be, when it arrives Wed, a MM Sterling with a lined fretboard. I'm a Musicman enthusiast for fretted instruments and am trading a fretted Sterling for a fretless.

8. Lined fretboards are very much like playing a fretted.

You will learn as you go what works and what doesn't.

I use the Ti's also!

Rosewood neck?

Mine is maple.

[​IMG]
    Treena