1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless to fretted cost?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LowB-90, Jul 9, 2018.

1. LowB-90

LowB-90

Jul 2, 2014
    COLORADO
    Hi guys, I got a fretless bass coming to me. Being said I want to have it fretted,bass is a neck through.
    What kind of cost would I be looking at for this fretless to fretted conversion?

Any help is appreciated

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Around here, about $400. It will take some searching to find a Luthier who has the setup to cut the slots on a neck-through.

3. Personally, I would buy a different bass that's fretted.

It can be done, but is it worth it? By the time you find someone who will undertake a somewhat risky project such as this and then pay for it, you could just put that money and effort towards finding a different instrument.

If this is a cheap bass, it's probably not worth sinking money into the conversion. If this is an expensive bass, then it's probably not worth wrecking the value to convert it.

Just my opinion.

rwkeating, Scoops and Panada like this.
  4. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    While you are planning to fret your fretless, somewhere in the world someone is planning to remove the frets from their bass. If only the 2 of you could connect :) ... but seriously, I agree with @TundraMan. buy a different bass.

mbelue likes this.
  5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    It's not risky.

It's quite simple. It's about a 2-3 hour job.

LowB-90 likes this.